none
Remove client data after client has been uninstalled RRS feed

• Question

• I'm relatively new to DPM (2012-R2) and am struggling with how to clean up old client data from DPM storage after protection has been removed and the client retired.

The previous operators stopped protection of numerous client members and elected to not remove the client data, then "uninstalled" them from the GUI. The systems have since been retired and decommissioned.

I am being asked to purge the abandoned data and have run the Get-Datasource cmdlet from the DPM shell, but can't quite figure out how to purge it.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

TY

• Edited by Rico.A Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:01 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you open the DPM console and view your protection groups, you will see at the bottom a group named "Inactive protection for previously protected data".

Expand that group, right click the data sources you want to remove data for, and select Remove inactive protection.

Hope that helps.

David

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:39 AM
  • David,

Thank you for the reply, but checking the Protection area all of the current PG's are listed but there is no "Inactive protection for previously protected data" area?

I do see them when I perform a Get-DPMDatasource query from the DPM Shell, but other than that they do not appear anywhere in the GUI.

Do you know why they would not appear in the Inactive Data area, perhaps the data is "active" ?

Is there a way for me to query and/or alter the state of the data which may make them appear in the Inactive Data group?

Thanks! 

Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:04 PM
  • It could be that the record for protection is still returned, but that there is no actual data being stored.  Are you performing both Disk and Tape backups?

This PowerShell might be worth testing with, as it will delete any replicas for the selected data source.

$ProtectionGroup = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName "DPMServerName"

$Datasource = Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $ProtectionGroup

Remove-DPMDatasourceReplica -Datasource $Datasource -Disk

David Allen http://aquilaweb.net

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:48 PM