START MENU: Get rid of white box RRS feed

• Question

• I almost got the start menu the way I like it, just need to get rid of the white box with the search bar. Anyone know of a good way of going about it?

This:

To This:

Any help would be appreciated.
    • Edited by Matthew Alan Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:37 AM br url
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Matthew

This is exactly what i want too , getting rid of the empty white box.

Now i found this : http://www.askvg.com/get-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-7-using-cwsm/

I will download this and use it , i'll report back my findings.

Edit : It doesn't work on my system , using Win7 64 pro.
            This may be caused by the way i have set up Win7 , however this does NOT mean it will not work at all.
            Try this Matthew and let us know your findings.

Good luck
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Just as an update since I'm getting a lot of hits on the images above, I have not found a native way to remove the box.  I am now using:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ 

To get the classic theme.  It works VERY well.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Alan Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:15 PM

All replies

• We are not able to remove this list from Start menu. Meanwhile the default view is not a blank box. See here:

The result you got should be caused if the recent program list is cleared so it seems that the whole list is blank. Personally I prefer pin some frequent using programs to Start menu and let others display there. I can understand some customers prefer change the Start menu to a classic style. I can help submit the concern to related group. Maybe it will become to a new feature if there are enough customers need it. Thanks.

Also I noticed that the right side of your screenshot is also customized which should not be changed by Windows 7 build-in settings. Maybe we will find a third party tool can help us to the change in future.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Hi Matthew

Now i found this : http://www.askvg.com/get-classic-start-menu-back-in-windows-7-using-cwsm/

This may be caused by the way i have set up Win7 , however this does NOT mean it will not work at all.

Good luck
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:53 AM
  • HI ArcticBloom

ya it worked on my system, thanks for the link

but the main draw back is Keyboard shortcuts, when we using shortcuts in XP for outlook, internet.. etc
    we are not allowed to do same here.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:05 PM
  • HI ArcticBloom

but the main draw back is Keyboard shortcuts, when we using shortcuts in XP for outlook, internet.. etc

This is, according to microsoft, working as designed.
    Please continue to post in the forums, of course, but if you want your complaint heard - first see the "classic start menu" and other UI complaint threads, then email a detailed description of your problem and how it impacts you / your business to ADVOCATE@MICROSOFT.COM

John
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:52 PM
  • HI ArcticBloom

This is, according to microsoft, working as designed.
    Please continue to post in the forums, of course, but if you want your complaint heard - first see the "classic start menu" and other UI complaint threads, then email a detailed description of your problem and how it impacts you / your business to ADVOCATE@MICROSOFT.COM

John
    HI John

thanks for your input
    no, i just mentioned a suggestion while checking CSMenu,
    now i am in new shortcuts of start menu.
    change is better..
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Good to hear it works for you Nikhil , but you used it in WinXP right ?

I still can't figure out why i can't make it work , one of the tweaks i used must prevent this proggie to execute properly.

Yes i have Aero running,  in case someone is wondering.

Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:25 PM
  • think its might  work on 32 bit only, i have done with PC
    my note book is 64 bit , it did not work on my note book checking the problem now,
    don't no will find out or not
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Looks good so far.

What did you do to get the "Programs" menu button on there?

-Noel
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Hi Matthew

Good luck
    Thanks for the link, it works running on Win 7 64b. I'm going to try for a native classic style first, then maybe I'll go the 3rd party approach. Even if I could just resize or change the color of the left white box(list box?,) it would work out.
    Looks good so far.

What did you do to get the "Programs" menu button on there?

-Noel
    In the "Customize Start Menu" screen I check marked the "Favorites Menu", and selected the "Display as menu" radio.

Then in the start menu I right click the "Favorites," and selected properties.

There is a "Location" tab, where I put:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

into the inputbox. Clicked Ok few times, and ended up with that.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:49 PM
  • I'm at about the same stage as the original poster... although I have also removed the All Programs by using the run > gpedit.msc command to disable this in the local policy.

Just need to find a way to remove the whole (now vacuous) left hand side of the start menu but retain the search prompt at the bottom and I will be a happy bunny with the best of all possible worlds... will let you know if I figure it out!
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:47 PM
  • I'd just like to know how you got the "Programs" onto the right hand side....... Pretty Please!!!!!
    Well That's My Two-penneth Worth
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Just as an update since I'm getting a lot of hits on the images above, I have not found a native way to remove the box.  I am now using:

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ 

To get the classic theme.  It works VERY well.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Alan Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:15 PM
  • Yes, ClassicShell is an excellent piece of work, even if one doesn't use it to recreate the classic menu.  It still helps clean up some of the "jumping out from under your cursor" behavior in Explorer windows, provides better "you're about to overwrite..." dialogs, and gives us a nice "Directory Up" button as well.

Interestingly, I took a different path regarding the Start Menu, Matthew.  Even though I do use ClassicShell, early in 2010 I decided to try to give the Windows 7 start box a go and I never looked back.

Now, after using it for over a year, and knowing how many times I use the search box, I'd have to say I have grown used to it and possibly even to like it. 

Perhaps a human can get used to anything!  :)

To this day I don't know where to find the Color Management dialog, for example, because I just always type in color management to get to it.

-Noel

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:25 PM