none
DPM 2012 - The recovery option 'Recover as virtual machine to any host' does not seem to work

Question

• Hi,

I am currently configuring DPM 2012 R2 in a hosted environment. As part of this I am trying to test the recover of a Hyper-V VM to a different physical host from its original location using the "Recover as virtual machine to any host" option. However when using this option all it seems to do is move the virtual machine from 1 physical host to another and does not apply the recovery point.

Current environment configuration:

3 x Physical Server hosts (all Windows Server 2012 R2) configured as a failover cluster (inc storage)

Hyper-V 2012 R2 role installed on all 3 hosts

System Center VMM 2012 R2 used to manage Virtual Machines

Steps used in the process are as follows:

1. In the DPM console select the Recovery option

2. Browse to the VM you want to restore

3. Expand the VM node and select "All Protected Hyper-V Data"

4. Select Recoverable item in the Path list

5. Right-Click and select "Show all recovery points"

6. Select the recovery point to restore and click Recovery

7. On the Review Recovery Selection page click Next

8. Select the "Recovery as virtual machine to any host"

9. Click Next

10. Click Browse

11. Select the Hyper-V physical host and clustered storage location for where the VM is going to be recovered to.

12. Click Ok.

13. Click Next

14. Click Next again

15. On the Summary page click Recover

16. The recovery process with proceed and restore the virtual machine to a different physical host but will not recovery the virtual machine as per the recovery point.

Can anyone please confirm if I am using the correct process or whether I am doing something obviously wrong in this process?

• Edited by bazza9485 Monday, October 5, 2015 12:11 PM
    Monday, October 5, 2015 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

It seems to be the right approach your using, but i can't stop thinking if the DPM has the permission to write to the destination storage (clusteret).

Do the destination contain the old VM files?
    Is the the VM still registreret in the Hyper-V Cluster?
    If it the VM still is registreret in the Cluster, then Delete the VM and rename the folder the VM resides in on the Cluster storage and try to restore the VM again.

Let us know how this turns out.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

We have a similar situation situation, that the only effect the "Recover as virtual machine to any host" is that it move the MV to another host. We can see in the CSV store root that we got an extra folder with the hostname with some numbers. But no change on the VM.

We have cleand up all data in the VMM/Hyper-V/cluster/CSV for the VM. We will test to do an recovery to see if it work.

Is this a permission issue at the CSV\VMM for DPM?  

/SaiTech

Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out? I'm also running into the same issue where DPM recovery seems to just be moving the VM. In our case, all the Hyper-V hosts are managed by the same VMM; is that true for you?
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:28 PM
  • try this tool which can easily recover your virtual machine data recovery without any hassle which name is virtual machine data recovery. this tool is only made for you if you want to recover your VMDF. you should try this tool.

to try this tool follow this link:- http://www.softmagnat.com/virtual-machine-data-recovery.html

Friday, December 21, 2018 10:46 AM