none
Integration tools compatibility between VM machines and HYPER-V host

Question

• Hello,

I'll have a complex environment with many Hyper-V Clusters, and those Hyper-V aren't or can't be updated at the same time. In our environment we are using one SINGLE Windows 2012 R2 template for Virtual machines. This template is up patched and it's allways up to date.

In this conditions we have observed that VIrtual machines has a higher version of Integration tools than the version that is distributed in our Hyper-V Hosts.

Are these virtual machines copatibles with Hyper-V hosts? There is any problem if Virtual machines has a higher version of the Integration tools (compared with the Hyper-V Host) ?

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:23 AM

All replies

• Integration tools are now versioned as part of the host OS.  So I am not sure how you are saying that VMs have a higher version than the host.

Or is the key what you are saying in your first sentence - that you have many Hyper-V cluster but they can't be updated at the same time?  Do you mean that you are not keeping the individual nodes of the cluster at the same version of the operating system?  That is a bigger issue.  Clustering has never been designed to run with different OS versions for extended periods of time.  Yes, it will happen while upgrading individual nodes, but the goal is to move all hosts to the same version as quickly as possible.  During that time, if the first node of the cluster is upgraded and a VM's integration services gets upgraded, then that VM is migrated to another node of the cluster, the fact that the integration services are at a newer version will not hurt.  However, you should minimize this occurrence by updating your hosts as quickly as possible.  That is one reason Microsoft created Cluster Aware Updating to make it much easier to update cluster nodes.

tim

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

Our Cluster nodes are updated at the same patch level, but aren't updated at the same time than virtual machines.

Virtual machines are easiest to update than Hyper-V nodes and are updated more frequently. As consequence Integration tools version on the virtual machines could be higher than the version that are available through the Hyper-V nodes.

And I know that in the next version (Windows 2016) the current method to distribute I.tools using an local ISO will dissapear.  Then this situation that I'm exposing here will be very usual. 

Regards

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:23 PM
  • "Virtual machines are easiest to update than Hyper-V nodes and are updated more frequently. "

You should look into Cluster Aware Updating.  Makes updating clusters very painless ... and automatic.  It will automatically drain a node (live migrate existing VMs to another node of the cluster), pause the cluster on the node, apply patches to the node, reboot the node, and resume the node.  It then automatically moves to the next node to do the exact same thing.

tim

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:45 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your answer, but I guess that you don't understand my question.

I'm not asking how to update my Hyper-V hosts, we have our procedures to do it that quite similar as you are describing here.

What I am asking is if could be any problem if a Virtual Machine has a Higher Integration tools version than their Host?

Regards

Saturday, April 22, 2017 6:55 PM
  • "What I am asking is if could be any problem if a Virtual Machine has a Higher Integration tools version than their Host?"

Yes, and I replied to that question in my first response.  ", it will happen while upgrading individual nodes, but the goal is to move all hosts to the same version as quickly as possible.  During that time, if the first node of the cluster is upgraded and a VM's integration services gets upgraded, then that VM is migrated to another node of the cluster, the fact that the integration services are at a newer version will not hurt.  However, you should minimize this occurrence by updating your hosts as quickly as possible.  "

tim

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:00 PM