2.5.0.1 - Windows Media Player 11 update RRS feed

• Question

• Like many another person, I too attempt to upgrade the DRM info only to get a "Can't Upgrade This Component".  But I also noticed something else.

When the process fails and I close IE, on my desktop is a folder.  What's odd about it is that it has non-english characters for a name, which look like kanji when viewed through Windows Explorer.  And when I click on the HDS file in it and it goes out to the 'Net to tell me what an HDS file is, I get a message that there is no page for my language.

As far as I can tell, I'm not using any other language in IE (I use French when I use Chrome) or in Windows generally. I get the feeling that if I got the English version I'm supposed to be downloading all my problems would be solved.

Any suggestions why the page with the rights stuff on it thinks I'm not speaking English? (or more to the point, where can I download the right version)?

TIA

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:14 AM

Answers

• Hi TEC4Cleve,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you are using Windows XP, have you tried to download the Windows Media Player 11 in the link which I mentioned in my previous post? 

In addition to that, you mentioned the updates can't be completed, so could you please tell me what the KB number of the updates and the detailed error message about the failed updates. You could upload the WindowsUpdate.log to us and we will help you to analyze.

We are waiting for your result after you checking.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please tell me what your purpose detailed? Do you want to download Windows Media Player or the Windows Update for Media DRM?

If you want to download the Windows Media Player for Windows 7, you could download Windows Media Player 12 in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player

If you want to download the updates for Windows Media DRM, could you please tell us the KB number that you failed to install? Is it KB891122? If it is, we would like to tell us this KB number is not for your current system version and Windows Media Player version.

Hope that will be helpful to you.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:25 AM
  • My apologies.  I wasn't paying attention when I created this thread -- I was following another post and posted in the same place.  I actually have XP on my machine.  I went to the page that everyone's been pointed to.  The upgrade begins, then tells me I need to upgrade the security for WMP 11.  THAT upgrade starts, downloads, then tells me the upgrade can't be completed.

I realize there's no support for XP any more, so if I can't be helped, I understand.  I just can't afford another laptop right now and I'd like to get this fixed -- it's keeping me from using several applications.

Either way, thanks for responding.

Friday, December 4, 2015 4:07 PM
  • Hi TEC4Cleve,

Thank you for your reply.

Since you are using Windows XP, have you tried to download the Windows Media Player 11 in the link which I mentioned in my previous post? 

In addition to that, you mentioned the updates can't be completed, so could you please tell me what the KB number of the updates and the detailed error message about the failed updates. You could upload the WindowsUpdate.log to us and we will help you to analyze.

We are waiting for your result after you checking.

Best Regards

Simon

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:11 AM
  • Hi TEC4Cleve,

We wonder if there is any luck your issue has been resolved, if you've found solution by yourself. We would appreciate it if you could share with us and we will mark it as answer.

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards

Simon

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:32 AM