ForEach-Object not getting items, $_ is the collection RRS feed

• Question

• First I run this line:

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase.Properties

cool, it returns:

PropertyName                                      Value                                                                                    Capacity                                            Count
    ------------                                      -----                                                                                    --------                                            -----
    OperatingSystem                                   Windows NT                                                                                      4                                                1
    OperatingSystemVersion                            6.1                                                                                             4                                                1
    Owner                                             [redacted]                                                                                           4                                                1
    Division                                          Microsoft                                                                                       4                                                1
    ProcessorCount                                    Multiprocessor Free                                                                             4                                                1
    Processor                                         Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7                                                            4                                                1
    Name                                              [redacted]                                                                                            4                                                1

now I want to do something with those objects...

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase.Properties | % {$_.Value}

The above line returns nothing BECAUSE...

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase.Properties | % {$_.GetType()}

tells me that $_ is System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection... What? Why not some DirectoryEntryProperty object or something? Why the collection itself? Is it a bug? Is it that PowerShell can't handle that this collection implements non-generic IDictionary, ICollection and IEnumerable? I mean $_ SHOULD be the item, not the collection through which I'm enumerating, right?

I'm loosing my mind because of this. Please help.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 11:01 PM

Answers

• This code will "unpack" the properties, and populate an array of psObjects, which can be easily manipulated:

$results = @()
    $props = ([adsi]'WinNT://Grant-PC').psbase.Properties
    $propnames = $props.propertynames
    foreach ($prop in $propnames) {
        $results += New-Object psObject -Property @{'Property'=$prop;'Value'=($props.item($prop) | Out-String).trim()}
        }
    $results | select property, value

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, July 23, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:43 AM

All replies

• You can get to the values like this:

([adsi]'WinNT://Grant-PC').psbase.properties.values

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Hi,

Run:

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase

We will find that properties is a collection property which has seven items including:

OperatingSystem
    OperatingSystemVersion
    Owner
    Division
    ProcessorCount
    Processor
    Name

Run:

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase.Properties|%{$_.values}
    Or
    ([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').psbase.Properties.values

They have the same result, because the object is only one, not multy.

Regards,

Yan Li

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:07 AM
  • What I want to do is have a collection of adsi object 'flattened' to have these properties as it's own members.

Is there a way to do that in a simple one-liner without creating helper functions?

Besides what I want to know is why
    ([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').PSBase.Properties | % {$_.GetType()}
    shows
    IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType
    -------- -------- ----                                     --------
    True     False    PropertyCollection                       System.Object

while
    ([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').PSBase.Properties.GetEnumerator() | % {$_.GetType()}
    returns
    IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType
    -------- -------- ----                                     --------
    True     False    PropertyValueCollection                  System.Collections.CollectionBase
    True     False    PropertyValueCollection                  System.Collections.CollectionBase

Shouldn't ForEach-Object use GetEnumerator() ?

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:20 AM
  • In this example:

([adsi]'WinNT://MyComputer').PSBase.Properties | % {$_.GetType()}

...you are just testing one object, even though you send it through a foreach-object.  Notice the type is PropertyCollection.  When calling the Enumerator, each of the values is passed to Gettype(), so you get 7 lines output.  Notice that this type is different, it is a PropertyValueCollection.

The problem that you are encountering is that although it seems like you should get an array of seven properties, but really you get  just one object.

• Edited by Bigteddy Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:15 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:13 AM
  • This code will "unpack" the properties, and populate an array of psObjects, which can be easily manipulated:

$results = @()
    $props = ([adsi]'WinNT://Grant-PC').psbase.Properties
    $propnames = $props.propertynames
    foreach ($prop in $propnames) {
        $results += New-Object psObject -Property @{'Property'=$prop;'Value'=($props.item($prop) | Out-String).trim()}
        }
    $results | select property, value

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, July 23, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:43 AM