Monitoring Third Party Application Service RRS feed

• Question

• I know I have this question before and Graham has provided a very good document for Monitoring Third Party Application Service.  I am following step-by-step document provided by Graham and created the custom monitor for monitoring that service.  Every time I stop the service, it creates an event log in application log as following:

The description for Event ID ( 105 ) in Source (servicename) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: servicename.

From Operation Manager Event:
    LogEndToEndEvent.js : This event is logged to the Windows Event Log periodically to test a event collection. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event ID: 6022  File Name MOMScripAPI.dll  File Version 61.7221.0  Product Name System Center Operation Manager  Source Health Service Script

Could someone help me with this?  Happy Holiday to all.  Ziba

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Ziba
    Hope all is well.
    Can you please tell me what steps you are going through to monitor this service and we should be able to help you out.

So

what is the name of the service   (type "net start" from the command line on the server and it will tell you the name as windows sees it)
    What is your monitor targeting, windows server, SQL etc....
    Is the monitor enabled by default?
    Etc

There is a bit of a time differance between us but if you post back now ill have a look and go through the steps for you tomorrow morning

Best wishes and happy holidays to you to

Paul
    Paul Keely
    • Marked as answer by ZibaK Monday, January 25, 2010 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Ziba
    Hope all is well.
    Can you please tell me what steps you are going through to monitor this service and we should be able to help you out.

So

what is the name of the service   (type "net start" from the command line on the server and it will tell you the name as windows sees it)
    What is your monitor targeting, windows server, SQL etc....
    Is the monitor enabled by default?
    Etc

There is a bit of a time differance between us but if you post back now ill have a look and go through the steps for you tomorrow morning

Best wishes and happy holidays to you to

Paul
    Paul Keely
    • Marked as answer by ZibaK Monday, January 25, 2010 3:57 PM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:28 PM
  • a dll isnt registered or you trying to find "servicename" description which isn't in that dll. which dll? well i don't know, probably one from the application you are stopping :)
    Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Hi Pau, I hope you're doing well and happy holidays!!!   Thanks for the good tip.  I used the net start and the service name is the same as display name (in windows property it's a different name for the service name).  When we stopped the service from command prompt, we received the alerts but when I stop the service from the services pane, I don't receive alerts.  The custom monitor which I created is still using the service name rather than the display name (where I did the net start, it was the same as display name).  Should I change the monitor service to the display name rather than the service name?  Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Thank you Rob for your help and happy holidays!!!  I think it's most likely what Paul is recommending.  Please read my comments in responding to Paul.  Ziba
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:16 PM