How to force taskbar live previews on a triple-screen setup? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 in 5040x1050 resolution using Matrox TripleHead2Go.

The problem is that taskbar live previews appear to be automatically disabled at this resolution (only windows titles are shown). When I am using 5040x1050, they look like this:

When I switch to 1280x800 notebook display, the previews look like this (notice that the thumbnail is shown):

I get live previews in 3360x1050 too. But 5040x1050 doesn't work.

Please help me force Windows to draw live previews with thumbnails at the 5040x1050 resolution. The DWM works at that res just fine - previews are visible in Flip3D and in Alt+Tab switching.

YT, Danila
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is difficult for us to reproduce this issue since we are lack of this kind of instrument. Here I would like to give some suggestions based on my research. As Matorx introduces, Matrox TripleHead2Go is compatible with select (DX10) Nvidia and ATI GPUs running under Windows XP or Windows Vista. TripleHead display mode using Resolution 5040 x 1050 (3 x 1680 x 1050) should use a refresh rates of 60HZ ( In some case 59HZ is used). Thus I recommend you to check refresh rates first. Moreover, the reason why you can't use taskbar preview is that the taskbar preview may be disabled. Please verify if Taskbar Preview isn't disabled in Local Group Policy Editor while setting resolution to 5040x1050:

Check in Local Group Policy Editor
    ======================

1) Click the Start button and type: GPedit.msc, then press Enter.
    2) Expand User Configuration and expand Administrative Templates.
    3) Click Start Menu and Taskbar.
    4) Find Turn off taskbar thumbnail, make sure it isn't enable.

If it is disabled, try to enable it.

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Friday, September 11, 2009 3:23 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Danila80 Monday, October 5, 2009 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Changing Policy didn't help.

However, I found another interesting fact. When I move the taskbar to the left side of the screen, the previews are shown even in the 5040x1050 resolution. But not when the taskbar is at the bottom.

What could it mean? What should I try to fix it?

Danila

Monday, October 5, 2009 12:09 PM
  • How about moving the taskbar to the top of the screen? I suspect it is mainly related to extented monitors. I will perform more investigation on this issue till I get the answer. BTW, it is recommended to involve Matrox for support too. If it is available, you can configure triple-screen using other screen connectors to see if the taskbar preview works.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Dale,

top and bottom don't work. Left and right work.

I will contact Matrox support and see if they respond.

Trying other connection schemes is not really an option. It's a laptop, so it only has 1 DVI and 1 VGA outputs.

Yours, Danila

Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Matrox response: "Unfortunately, at the present time we do not have any Windows 7 support. The software you’re using is not designed to handle any of the new features Windows 7 incorporates into the OS. The scheduled release for the software should be by the end of October. [2009]".

I will wait until the end of October and update, but it's not clear if this problem can be fixed from Matrox end.

Monday, October 19, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Please respond back and let us know how it works if you get the released software from Matrox. Thanks.

Dale  

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:50 AM