Graphics Clone mode RRS feed

• Question

• On a win7 System I set the Graphics Multi Monitor Mode to Clone Mode by using the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel.

The System is very Basic using a Celeron CPU; no special graphics adapter installed.

I am using just one Monitor as Default but often two Monitors. And those Monitors are exchanged very often.

But when changing the Monitors the clone mode disappeared and changes to Extended Desktop everytime.

Extended desktop seeems to be the default value when new Monitors are recognized.

Can I set the default value for multiple Monitor mode to clone somewhere in the registry ? 

So clone mode is set directly whenever a new pair of Monitors is recognized and no additional Setup is needed?

In XP it was working, but Win7 seem to react different.

By the way; displayswitch /clone isn't an appropriate solution for me, as it reacts strange when just one Monitor is connected.

thanks Peter

Monday, July 9, 2018 1:23 PM

All replies

• Why clone,monitors are in "Plug & Play" mode by default...A utility from Microsoft would help,its called: Windows Media Professional Exhibitor  the utility is for 2 or more monitor use.It might be available thru Microsoft download center,or Microsoft/MSDN or use youre web search engine....

Also,Intel graphic Media Accelerator is fairly good,but updates are available thru Intel.com/support/downloads/browse manual,or use search...Intel also says,after the OS installation,the 1st install is Intel Chipset driver/software  it allows the OS to enable video/audio/networking/etc  install the latest v9.2

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:06 AM
  • Hi Peter,

You could try the command below.

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /clone

Also check the information in the link below.

What registry key or windows file determines where monitors are placed in a multi monitor environment.

https://superuser.com/questions/106749/what-registry-key-or-windows-file-determines-where-monitors-are-placed-in-a-mult

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:57 AM
  • Hi Carl,

displayswitch is a great tip but there is one Problem.

I can not use it in a Startup-script as it does not function when there is only one Display connected. And I have to do it automated in a script.

With only one Display connected and running displayswitch /clone the Resolution of the Display changes from 1280x1024 to 1280x720.

I do not know exactly why. But that's the Problem.

When I have two Displays connected the Resolution stays at 1280x1024 and just clone mode can be set and reset.

But the one display Setup reacts strange on displayswitch / clone.

Maybe I have to check before if there is one or two Displays connected to the System.

Would be great if displaysswitch could do that for me ;-)

Peter

• Edited by peter_gr Friday, July 13, 2018 6:59 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 6:58 AM