Windows 8 Release Preview WPA2 Enterprise Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Since the first release of Windows 8 (Windows Developer Preview) I can't properly connect to my university wireless network which uses WPA2 Enterprise. On Windows 7 everything works great, but Windows 8 has an odd behavior.

When connected:
    Metro apps won't launch.
    Internet Explorer (both metro and desktop) won't launch.
    Third-party browsers work, but I'm not able to download anything.

Wireless network adapter: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285
    Driver version: 3.0.0.128
    Driver provider: Microsoft
    Driver date: 03/22/2012
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 12:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Before going any further, I would like to verify whether Windows RP is clean install or upgrade from Windows 7?

I checked on Windows 8 Compatibility Center, Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 should compatible with Windows 8.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Hardware&Name=Atheros%20ar9285%20Wireless%20Network%20Adapter&Version=ar9285&Vendor=Qualcomm%20Atheros&ModelId=ar9285&Locale=en-US

I suggest to update Wireless card driver, also update BIOS and chipset to the latest version for test. Furthermore, try to temporary disable firewall.

Furthermore, please go to Computer Management---Device Manager, check if there are unknown drivers with yellow exclamation mark under Network adapters. If yes, please remove that.

If the issue persists, you’d better contact Atheros support for Windows 8 drivers:

http://support.atheros.com/

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:32 AM
  • I'm having the exact same issues as described except it's happening on an Intel adapter. The wireless network I'm trying to connect is also WPA2 Enterprise.

Wireless Network Adapter: Intel Wifi Link 1000
    Driver Provider: Intel
    Version: 15.1.1.1
    Date: 3/12/2012

Metro Apps and IE don't launch as well but if I disconnect and connect to the wireless network they start tow work fine. The issue starts again after a while or when I try to download a file.

I updated the Wifi drivers and chipset but still get the same issues.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:26 PM
  • G'day mate

I initially couldn't connect at all to WPA2-Enterprise networks, but I fixed the problem.

I downloaded the WINDOWS 7 drivers, then simply copy and pasted the files in the 'driver' folder into C:\Windows\System32\drivers

This fixed the issue for me. I didn't 'install' the Windows 7 driver, just copied the driver files.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by P1xellat3d Monday, October 8, 2012 12:08 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:51 AM
  • G'day mate

I initially couldn't connect at all to WPA2-Enterprise networks, but I fixed the problem.

I downloaded the WINDOWS 7 drivers, then simply copy and pasted the files in the 'driver' folder into C:\Windows\System32\drivers

This fixed the issue for me. I didn't 'install' the Windows 7 driver, just copied the driver files.

Cheers.

I am running Windows 8 Pro on my ASUS K61IC laptop and have had the same issues with WPA2 Enterprise networks at my university.

I tried the method of copying Windows 7 Drivers to \%WINDIR%\System32\drivers and replaced the drivers provided by Microsoft with those I downloaded off the ASUS website, and after a reboot it seems to be working now.

One thing I must mention is that you may need to disable driver signature enforcement for it to work (a guide on how to do that can be found here).

It's a rather gimmicky method of fixing things, but it has fixed my issues so it's worth a try.

Monday, October 8, 2012 12:14 AM