How can I script local printer installation during MDT task sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to find a way to install USB printers as a post installation task in MDT.  I need a way to do this so the printer is automatically installed and set as the default printer so that the user will be able to plug the printer into the USB port and be able to print without any setup required (computers will be locked down Point of Sale terminals).  I know I can add the drivers into the task sequence but I believe that will still require an initial configuration when the printer is plugged in.  Is there any way to do this using a script that runs post OS install?

Thanks,

John

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:48 PM Move to more appropriate forum
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:14 PM

All replies

• You need to post MDT questions in the Deployment forum. Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:47 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:47 PM
  • Thanks, will do.  Just posted here because what I'm really trying to figure out if there's a way I can script a local usb printer installation without the printer being present.  I included the stuff about MDT to try and paint a better picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:00 PM
  • Thanks, will do.  Just posted here because what I'm really trying to figure out if there's a way I can script a local usb printer installation without the printer being present.  I included the stuff about MDT to try and paint a better picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Just haev MDT install teh drivers.  The printer will autoinstall the first time it is plugged in.  USB and most personal printers are plug-and-play and cannot be installed statically.

YOu can install into an image before distributing.  THe pronter will attach but every prointer will have a new GUID.  I don't see any way to do it.  THe MVPs in the MDT forum ay know of a way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, January 4, 2015 11:33 PM