none
DPM and Server Upgrade questions RRS feed

• Question

• Currently have Windows server 2008 Sp2 x64 and DPM 2010

Want to upgrade both OS and DPM to

Windows server 2012 and DPM 2012 SP1

I assume I need to upgrade DPM server and clients then the OS.  I have found a lot of info on upgrading from dpm 2010 to 2012 sp1 but I can't find anything about upgrading 2008 sp2 server to 2012 when DPM 2012sp1 is installed.  If I just stop all the services related to DPM and SQL before the upgrade will it work or do I have to do something different?  Thanks

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:11 PM

All replies

• Here are my experiences in this area:

DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 was an in-place upgrade which worked ok.

I found that after the upgrade was completed, there was a new version of SQL server 2008 R2 that was installed by the upgrade.
    I noted that the old version of SQL server 2008 was not removed. From memory it didn't even remove the old DPM database even though it had copied it across and upgraded it.  I believe I was able to clean the old version away using uninstall from control panel. 

Server 2008 R2 SP1 to Server 2012 RTM was an in-place upgrade which worked ok.

Once the machine was ready, a significant amount of disk space (eg 35GB+) was being consumed by "Windows.old" and "$WINDOWS.~BT".
    Although these folders resisted being deleted in the usual way, there are helpful articles on the internet which provide usable instructions.
    It's just a shame that Server 2012 doesn't include the disk cleanup wizard which knows how to do remove them nicely.
    The DPM2012 which was present during this upgrade worked ok both before and after the OS change.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Hi Carpadum,

You should :

• Backup DPM 2010 DPMB
    • Upgrade DPM 2010 to DPM 2012 RTM + SP1 RTM
    • Backup DPM 2012 DPMB (Store in safe location)
    • Uninstall DPM 2012
    • Install Windows 2012 RTM + (Upgrade/fresh install) on your server - keep name / same domain
    • Install DPM 2012 RTM + SP1 RTM
    • [Fresh install] Attach the DPM storage pool disks to your server and import the foreign disks in disk management.
    • Restore DPM 2012 DPMDB
    • Update Agent on protected computer
    • Open the DPM console and run consistency checks for all the data sources

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:38 AM