none
How to inactivate tasks which have actual work values? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I'm using Project Pro 2010 and Project Server 2010.

I want to inactivate some tasks in my project plan. But these tasks have actual work values.

How can I inactivate the tasks?

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Nuri,

Project 2010 have an option of declaring task as inactive instead of deleting it, you can use that option by rite click on that task.

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:29 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Khurram,

I know context menu for the action. But the problem is, I can not inactivate a task which has actual work on it.

• Edited by Nuri Ozturk Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Set publish field to NO and remaining work to zero. 

What are you trying to accomplish with the inactive task?

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Thanks a lot. 

It sounds good. This may be a good solution.

What I want to do is, in a project plan (that has a duration of 2 or more years), I want to disable the tasks of the previous year regardless of thieir "% Completed" or "Actual Work" values. Briefly, I don'want to see the last year's tasks in the project plan.

Thanks again.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Hi Michael,

It doesn't work.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

you cannot inactive tasks with actuals. If you want to archive the tasks, you can cut & paste these tasks to separate schedule or apply a filter in the view to hide them.

Hope this helps,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:10 PM
  • There is a predefined filter that hides already completed tasks. I think thats what you looking for.
    Friday, January 18, 2013 4:44 PM
  • HI Nuri,

After finding your exact requirements, for which you were trying to use inactive task option, i believe using of pre-defined filter can work to achieve your objective. 

since Inactive tasks option is available to help you to keep your original estimations  of the project by not deleting the not-required tasks. The idea of inactivate doesnt work  once any actual are reported for those tasks, you cannot inactivate them since they are actullay happend now.

Having said that, i would also like to highlight that project plan with such a huge duration ( 2years+) should not exist in first place. if i were be on your place, i would divide the project plan into phases to reduce the size of the project so that it would looks meaningful and easier to manage. 

Hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:15 PM