Running Windows 10 as Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I'm showing as administrator of my Windows 10 install, but when I try to delete pictures, it says I don't have permission.

My girlfriend is also showing as administrator, and she can't do imports from her Canon camera saying the same thing, she doesn't have permission.

Both computers accounts have been verified.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Stryder64,

Did the issue only occur with the specific folder?

Please refer to S.Sengupta`s reply to check the permissions issue. We could untick and re-tick the folders` permissions to have a check.

We also could try to turn off the antivirus software temporarily to have a check. Sometimes these folders may be blocked by the antivirus software.

We could create a new administrator account to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:03 AM

All replies

• You might consider opening the properties on your main picture folder.

On the security tab, you should see your name, if not add it with full permissions.

At the bottom right, select the Advanced button.

On the window that opens you will see a button toward the bottom that will read "Enable inheritance" (or Disable if it has already been done).

When you select this button it will apply the permissions to all the sub-folders, if it pops up a window indicating it cannot do it for a given folder, just select Continue so the process keeps going...

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Just out of curiosity what anti virus are you running?
    Sunday, August 30, 2015 1:41 AM
  • Hi Stryder64,

Did the issue only occur with the specific folder?

Please refer to S.Sengupta`s reply to check the permissions issue. We could untick and re-tick the folders` permissions to have a check.

We also could try to turn off the antivirus software temporarily to have a check. Sometimes these folders may be blocked by the antivirus software.

We could create a new administrator account to have a check.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 31, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Ok, I figured out how to solve the 'run as administrator' problem when trying to uninstall a program through Control Panel.

1. Left-Click the start button bottom left of monitor.

2. On menu that opens, scroll down the list on the left side of the screen to, and Left-click on, Windows Administrative Tools.

3. On menu that opens, scroll down and Right-click System Configuration.

4. On menu that opens, Left-click on More.

5. On menu that opens, Left-click on Run As Administrator.

I'm not sure whether this permanently runs with me as Administrator, or only for this session until next restart.

Jim H.

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:19 PM
  •   That is correct. Even an administrator account normally runs without admin privilege. To run an application with admin privilege you need to use the run as administrator option. A well-written Windows program will prompt you if you do not have admin privilege but need it.

The change is temporary, not permanent.

Bill

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 1:53 AM