none
Send/Receive mail from email client (Lotus Notes) to Verizon mail servers

Question

• Hi, I am trying to get Lotus Notes 9 social edition to connect to my Verizon ISP mail servers (pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net).
    The replication tab gives an error message: "SSL IO error Remote session no longer responding.Failed with pop server pop.verizon.net".
    I did a trace using preferences->Notes ports and it tells me there is no path to the server. I configured my Windows firewall to allow
    notes to access the internet. I still can't "see" the mail servers (a Windows command line "ping" times out for either server). I have the correct server names and ports in the "accounts" entries in Lotus Notes (checked several times). These servers require SSL access. Is there something in the networking part of Windows that I need to set up? An SSL certificate of some kind? Do I need to set up and use a VPN?  What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any help. 
    Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Angelo,

Both PC A and PC B could not ping pop.verizon.net, if you register this record in ISP, please refer to Microsoft networking trouble shooter’s suggestion which check router with Internet.

PC B could not ping PC A, please configure PC B in some subnet with PC A if not, please rebuild Windows profile and do a clean boot on PC B by the following link to check if the issue persist:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:55 AM

All replies

• You are seriously LOST!!  Lotus Notes is not a Microsoft product and is not part of any Windows operating system.

You will have to contact the publisher of Lotus notes for assistance.  Lotus Notes is supported by IBM.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, February 22, 2016 7:58 PM
  • I was asking in this Win 7 Networking forum because I cannot "ping" the mail server so I am thinking that something in Win 7 networking area is not set up properly. So, as I asked at the end of the original post, do I need to adjust some setting(s) in Win 7 networking to be able to "see" the mail servers? Create an SSL certificate? Use a VPN? etc. I would think a "ping" of the mail servers should not time out. Hope that makes sense. 
    Monday, February 22, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Hi Angelo,

Welcome to technical forum.

Please check if this specific could ping other PC. If this specific PC could ping other PC, please check if other PC could ping mail server. If other PC could ping mail server, the issue could be caused by mailbox server.

If there is just this specific PC which could not ping others(include mail server), please check network on this specific PC, try to disable Windows firewall and A/V software on this specific PC to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:12 AM
  • Hi Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I did a "ping" of another PC (call it PC "B") on the same home network from the PC where Lotus Notes is installed (call it PC "A"). PC "A" is able to ping PC "B" and get a response. PC "B" is not able to ping PC "A" (times out 4 times before quitting). PC "A" is not able to ping pop.verizon.net. PC "B" is also not able to ping pop.verizon.net (it times out 4 times before quitting). Microsoft networking trouble shooter seems to think that there is something wrong with the connection between my home router and the internet and has suggested I turn it off, wait, and then turn it back on. So, I will try that next even though all other internet access seems to be working properly (web sites, browsers, etc.). Any other thoughts? 
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:00 PM
  • Hi Angelo,

Both PC A and PC B could not ping pop.verizon.net, if you register this record in ISP, please refer to Microsoft networking trouble shooter’s suggestion which check router with Internet.

PC B could not ping PC A, please configure PC B in some subnet with PC A if not, please rebuild Windows profile and do a clean boot on PC B by the following link to check if the issue persist:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:55 AM