none
Opening and Closing an Incident at the same time?

Question

• We're starting to rollout Service Manager to our Help Desk staff to log Incidents. A staff member asked me if they could create an Incident and then close it all at the same time. There are times that they have taken a call and resolved it but want to log it without having to Open the Incident and then reopen it to Close it.

I tried to explain that ITIL needs the Incident to start in an Open state and then get closed after that. After saying this I wondered if I was wrong and maybe there's a way to do this.

Is this possible?

Orange County District Attorney

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:48 AM

Answers

• Our customers are working like this way:

• Open a new incident
    • Log all fields and information as required
    • Click on "Apply" to save the Incident
    • Click on "Change Incident Status" / "Resolve" and log the details
    • Click on "OK" to close the form of the Incident object

Optional, click on "Apply" again and click on "Change Incident Status" / "Close".

Andreas Baumgarten

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Do you mean like; creating a ticket and then closing it straight after? If this is the case then yes it is possible to do.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com  LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

agree with Leon here. Technically SCSM gives you broad range of possibilities when managing Incidnets, but according to ITL a Incident should be created in such cases, updated with all the information (also the time spent on the call, issue, resoulton, etc.) and then closed or handled accordingly. 

So whenever somebody need to know how Service Desk employees spend their time, you can show the reported Incident.

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 12:31 PM
  • Our customers are working like this way:

• Open a new incident
    • Log all fields and information as required
    • Click on "Apply" to save the Incident
    • Click on "Change Incident Status" / "Resolve" and log the details
    • Click on "OK" to close the form of the Incident object

Optional, click on "Apply" again and click on "Change Incident Status" / "Close".

Andreas Baumgarten

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Andreas. I think that will work for us. We actually use a 3rd-party product called Analyst Portal from Cireson for our Service Manager world. It appears that we can follow the steps you outlined to get where we want to go.

Orange County District Attorney

Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:35 PM