Unable to perform Cutover migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to migrate mailboxes from on-premise Exchange 2010 to Office 365 using the Cutover migration method.  When I try to setup the migration endpoint from ECP, I get the following error:

"The call to ‎'net.tcp://xxxx.namprd06.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService xxxx.namprd06.prod.outlook.com ‎(15.20.2347.18 ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, MailboxCaps:, legacyCaps:03FFFFFF)‎‎' failed. Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..".

-I have confirmed OWA is accessible and functioning
    -I have confirmed Autodiscover record is published and functional
    -I have tested Autodiscover service using the Remote Connectivity Analyzer
    -I have reset IIS on Exchange 2010 server and confirmed external URL is set for Outlook Anywhere.  Also reset MS Exchange Mailbox Replication service
    -Used different Domain Admin accounts for verification

I also used Exchange Online Powershell to run command Test-MigrationServerAvailability, but the same error as described above is received.  I am able to validate migration endpoint using MRS Proxy method, but I'd rather not do a Hybrid Config since this server will be shut down once the mailboxes have been migrated.  I have performed multiple Office 365 migrations, across multiple tenants and I was always able to get the Cutover migration option to work as needed until today.

I have not been able to find any other related articles describing this issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get this to work for us?

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:03 PM

Answers

• I was also called back and was thereafter asked via mail to run a test and send the outcome (which was the same error BTW) back.

Haven't heard back as of yet but good to know that several people are claiming tickets at MS.

Not in the Service Health status in O365 also so not sure how serious the complains are being treated.

Regards,

Martijn

• Marked as answer by sanityb77 Monday, October 14, 2019 12:14 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am currently migrating from Exchange 2013 to Exchange Online and get the same error.

ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, on exchange PowerShell after this command Get-MoveRequest | Get-MoveRequestStatistics | ft I am getting StalledDueToTarget_DiskLatency for specific mailbox. I guess this is Exchange Online issue, I'm using Europe servers in Amsterdam. Maybe they have some performance issues. If this continues I proposing to raise a ticket to Microsoft. If it continues tomorrow I will do it.Take care :-).

Lukasz

Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:48 PM
  • Lukasz,

Thanks for your reply!  I was also suspicious that this may be an issue with Exchange Online.  I will hold out to see if the issue resolves itself by tomorrow morning.  Let's hope for a quick resolution!

-Bob

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hi sanityb77,

What's the result using ExRCA to test Outlook Connectivity?

Make sure that outlook anywhere is enabled and correctly configured in your on-premise Exchange server.

In addition, you can try migrating mailboxes between on-premise Exchange servers, verify whether this can work normally.

If mailbox migration in on-premise environment can work properly, it probably be an online issue.

The official document about: Prepare for a cutover migration

A related case about migation issue between on-premise Exchange servers

Mailbox move error - while moving mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 on premises

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

I am starting a migration also, Exchange 2007 to Office 365.
    Receiving the exact same error:

"The call to 'net.tcp://am0pr04mb5459.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService AM0PR04MB5459.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com (15.20.2347.18 ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, MailboxCaps:, legacyCaps:03FFFFFF)' failed. Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.."

Really hoping this is just a hickup and that it will be resolved quickly.

Regards,
    Martijn

FYI, I opened a ticket with MS with reference to this thread.

• Edited by mdaas Friday, October 11, 2019 8:09 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 7:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue..

Trying to start a migration: Exchange 2010 to Office 365.

"The call to 'net.tcp://he1pr0801mb1801.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService HE1PR0801MB1801.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com (15.20.2347.18 ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, MailboxCaps:, legacyCaps:03FFFFFF)' failed. Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.."

Friday, October 11, 2019 11:48 AM
  • I have two cutover migrations running for clients and noticed as of 10/4 that the mailboxes were no longer syncing.  When I would go into Exchange management I would get a browser error, but only for the two clients in the process of a cutover migration.  I opened a case with Microsoft a couple of days ago and they took screenshots, etc.

I deleted one migration batch and tried starting fresh.  When I tried to set up the migration endpoint, I also get the error mentioned above.  I'm going to send this site link to Microsoft as well.

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Have you submitted the issue at MS? I have, and the support department hasn't seen any other claims like this one as of yet. The more claims, the faster Engineering will respond.

Regards,

Martijn

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Hi

I am getting exactly the same error.

Done loads of cutover migrations and this is the first time I have seen this.

As mentioned in other replies the connectivity tests all come back perfect.

I have also tried from our own tenant and tried to connect to customer Exchange 2010 server and get the same error.

I will submit to our distributors 365 support team and see if they come up with anything.

Such a weird error message on something that's usually so reliable and simple.

Thanks for any help on this.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:16 PM
  • Even we are getting this error.

We couldn't detect your server settings. Please enter them. The call to ‎'net.tcp://ch2pr04mb6759.namprd04.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService CH2PR04MB6759.namprd04.prod.outlook.com ‎(15.20.2347.20 ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, MailboxCaps:, legacyCaps:03FFFFFF)‎‎' failed. Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..

• Edited by NashAhmed Friday, October 11, 2019 9:10 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 9:10 PM
  • Even we are submitting a ticket and hope to get a resolution fast.
    Friday, October 11, 2019 9:17 PM
  • Hi Martijn,

I create yesterday a ticket by Microsoft.
    They called me but, no results.

I have to wait till monday....

Did anyone heard/know more?

Regards,

Steven

Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:35 PM
  • I was also called back and was thereafter asked via mail to run a test and send the outcome (which was the same error BTW) back.

Haven't heard back as of yet but good to know that several people are claiming tickets at MS.

Not in the Service Health status in O365 also so not sure how serious the complains are being treated.

Regards,

Martijn

• Marked as answer by sanityb77 Monday, October 14, 2019 12:14 PM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hi all,

I just discovered that everyting is working again.
    I have succesfully created the endpoint and am syncing 47 mailboxes right now.
    Fingers crossed that everything will stay online now.

Regards,

Martijn

Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi Martijn,

Thanks for the info!!

Today I have successfully created the endpoint. The syncing process is started!

Kind Regards,

Steven

Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:39 AM
  • Hi all

Yes all working now can create the endpoint successfully.

Phew!

Thanks

Monday, October 14, 2019 8:21 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for escalating the case to Microsoft!  I had to pick up on another project, so hadn't been able to follow-up on this for a few days, but I'm glad to hear everything has been fixed.  Appears to have been an issue on Microsoft's end.  Let's hope everything else goes smoothly moving forward.

Monday, October 14, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

Definitely an issue on Microsoft's end, also according to support. Engineering has been looking into this during the weekend, so that's why we didn't receive any updates on this untill this morning.

Have a nice migration everyone ;)

Regards,

Martijn

Monday, October 14, 2019 12:41 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's feedback above, I will make a brief summary of this post so that other forum members could easily find useful information here:

[Unable to perform Cutover migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange Online - Summary]

Issue Symptom:

When perform cutover migration, get error information like: "The call to ‎'net.tcp://xxxx.namprd06.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft.Exchange.MailboxReplicationService xxxx.namprd06.prod.outlook.com ‎(15.20.2347.18 ServerCaps:03FFFFFF, ProxyCaps:7FFFFFFFC7FD6DFDBF5FFFFFCB07EFFF, MailboxCaps:, legacyCaps:03FFFFFF)‎‎' failed. Error details: Object reference not set to an instance of an object..".

(Possible) Cause:

Issue on Microsoft's end.

Solution:

Microsoft has fixed this issue.

Friday, October 18, 2019 9:18 AM