none
SCVMM Storage – Non SMI-S Compliant Servers for VM Storage

Question

• Hello,

I have a storage NAS built to provide VM storage to SCVMM via either ISCSI or SMB3 but it is not SMI-S or SMP complient.

Excluding using a Windows SMB server to present storage, what is the alternate way of presenting this storage to SCVMM without it supporting SMI-S?

Thanks

-- EDIT --

After reading https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8815f37f-74d2-4151-b981-abed18a70f59/scvmm-2012-with-nonsmis-storage?forum=virtualmachinemanager

It looks like CSVs or DAS to the Hyper-V hosts until my NAS creates an SMI-S provider...

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>Excluding using a Windows SMB server to present storage, what is the alternate way of presenting this storage to SCVMM without it supporting SMI-S?

AFAIK , what you have mentioned is the only way to use that storage in SCVMM .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:20 AM
  • My understanding (which is limited) is that SCVMM can use storage that is not SMI-S compliant, it is just that you cannot manage all the features from within SCVMM.  SMI-S is used to allow SCVMM to provide additional management capabilities from the SCVMM user interface, but even without it, it can still use the storage.

However, you will find many more knowledgeable SCVMM experts in the SCVMM forums.  Here is the general SCVMM forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemanager.  I am guessing the exerts who follow that forum can provide you with better assistance than those of us who follow this forum dedicated to questions about Hyper-V.

tim

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:45 PM
  • My understanding (which is limited) is that SCVMM can use storage that is not SMI-S compliant, it is just that you cannot manage all the features from within SCVMM.  SMI-S is used to allow SCVMM to provide additional management capabilities from the SCVMM user interface, but even without it, it can still use the storage.

However, you will find many more knowledgeable SCVMM experts in the SCVMM forums.  Here is the general SCVMM forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=virtualmachinemanager.  I am guessing the exerts who follow that forum can provide you with better assistance than those of us who follow this forum dedicated to questions about Hyper-V.

tim

Thanks Tim yes there is some features I cannot use like certain provisioning, LUN masking etc on a storage appliance without SMI-S.

I can use a Windows Server with SMI-S support but would much prefer to keep this ZFS machine I have already provisioned.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:03 PM
  • SMI-S is provided by the storage vendor.  There are a variety of storage vendors that do provide that capability, but it is not something that Microsoft can add onto non-Microsoft products.  You would need to talk with the storage vendor to see if they can provide SMI-S as an add-on or if they have plans to add it in the future.

tim

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:21 PM