taskbar appearance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've just had a new hard drive replaced on a Dell T7500 after 13 months and am finding that windows 7 is behaving slightly differently.

Previously the task bar used to combine the groups of buttons but display each window as a flyout, particularly useful using my CAD program where id can be done pictorially rather than using names.  Names are totally useless in this case as they show a truncated long path and are identical.

Ther appears to be no option to cover this in Start Menu Properties.

How do I make the icon flyouts?

Thanks

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• Do you use an earo enabled theme?

if not: Right click on the desktop -> choose personalize -> select an "Aero Theme"

did this resolve your issue?

• Marked as answer by kresy Friday, January 21, 2011 11:21 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• Right click on taskbar, select properties -> [TAB] Taskbar -> [Box] Taskbar Appereance -> [Pulldownmenu] Taskbar buttons

Thats where the behaviour can be configured. this doesnt resolve your issue?

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:38 AM
  • No it doesn't

the taskbar buttons are

'never combine' - this fills the taskbar with labels

'combine when taskbar is full' this combines but displays as vertically stacked labels when picked

'always combine, hide labels' this behaves as the above no matter how few are displayed

What I used to have, and this was as a default,  I never  set anything, was combined buttons but when picked displayed horizontally above the taskbar as icons.

Which one of the above options is this? None are doing what I describe.

thanks

Friday, January 21, 2011 9:55 AM
  • do you mean when hovering over a grouped set of taskbar icons, not displaying the thumbnails but displaying a list of windows to choose from?

so basically you want to disable the thumbnails?

http://www.blogsdna.com/2056/how-to-enable-or-disable-taskbar-thumbnails-preview-in-windows-7.htm  

Friday, January 21, 2011 10:11 AM
  • No, completely the opposite, I want the thumbnails [ which I was calling icons].  

Instead of thumbnails, which appeared horizontally above the taskbar I have this.

How do I get the thumbnails?

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?lzw5yrzxntme6rm

Friday, January 21, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Do you use an earo enabled theme?

if not: Right click on the desktop -> choose personalize -> select an "Aero Theme"

did this resolve your issue?

• Marked as answer by kresy Friday, January 21, 2011 11:21 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Great, thanks!

BTW, why did my hyperlink not show correctly as yours did?

Friday, January 21, 2011 11:22 AM