none
Moving DPM 2012R2 VM to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Planning on moving a DPM 2012R2 which is currently running in a datacenter in a different site to Azure. I do know that cross-premise backups are not "supported" due to latency it can cause issues. However currently it's running in a different site and it's working without any issues, and it only backs up 4 servers once a week. Unless there are other reasons to why it's not supported?

There's also a second DPM server running on-site which backs up around 40 servers. 

What's the best approach to do this?
    1. Move the VM to azure (if its a Gen1 VM)
    2. Create a new machine in Azure, install DPM and import the database. 

The retention is 1 week and the backup runs once a week, so i think the best option is number 2.

Saturday, October 1, 2016 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Bruunn,

Have you looked at using ASR to help with this move? I would go that route. You can use the ASR trial if you do not already own it. You also can leverage this to move many VM's up to Azure. Here are two links you should check out:

https://www.petri.com/migrate-machines-azure

https://www.petri.com/move-virtual-machines-into-microsoft-azure

Something I did not see you consider in your question is the DPM storage. What are you doing for this today? Do you have a plan for it when it is up in Azure? You should also do some planning around this before you migrate it.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, October 2, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the trial is only available when you sign up as a new user. If you have an existing subscription it's doesn't seem to be possible to activate the trial.

Currently the backups are stored locally on a disk, the plan is to do the same when the DPM server is moved to Azure. The backups are only kept for a week.  There are no plans for long term backup to tapes or Azure.

The plan is to create a new VM, ex- and import the SQL database, migrate the replica's. 

• Edited by Marc-1983 Sunday, October 2, 2016 7:46 PM
    Sunday, October 2, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Sounds like you have a solid plan. Good luck!

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, October 2, 2016 8:49 PM