Windows Firewall Service fails to start after a reboot. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a unique issue. I have 4 terminal servers that reboot every night. 2 of the servers reboot without issue every night. The other 2 server reboot but when they come up the windows firewall service is not running and no one can connect to the servers. It is the same two servers but the issue does not occur every reboot. It only occurs once or twice a week. In the event log I see event ID 7036 The Windows Firewall service entered the running state then ten seconds later I see event ID 7036 The Windows Firewall service entered the stopped state followed by an error Event ID 7024 The Windows Firewall service terminated with the specific error Access is denied. I have to remote into the server thru the iLO and manually start the Firewall services. It has started every time with no issues manually so far. I have searched the internet and found others have fixed the issue by changing permissions to registry keys but their issue is the firewall service will not start at all. My issue is that it starts 70% of the time. I have searched the event log and do not see any other messages other than the messages above. I hope someone out there could give me some advice on a possible fix or another place to look.

Thank you

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:34 PM

Answers

• I have tried everything I can think of and still no luck. I did not try disabling startup apps because the is a production server and those apps are required. I will just have to hope this is one of those issue that just magically goes away. Thank you all of your help.
    • Marked as answer by Jake Redd Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:18 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:18 PM

All replies

• What version of the Windows OS are you using?

Also do you have an anti-virus on these systems?
    • Edited by Aditi Satam Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:45 PM
  • If you set it to a delayed start does it help ? I suspect it trigger the service startup timeout, and the service got killed. You can make that limit upper too, but at first I suggest to just delay the service.

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:35 AM
  • Something here might help.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2011/06/08/the-windows-firewall-service-fails-to-start-introduction.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that 2 servers have random problem when reboot - windows firewall service can’t start automatically, and need to manually start the service.

Except for the suggestions above, you may also confirm the automatically startup processes, and try to disable any 3rd party process in order to narrow down this problem:
    1. run msconfig.
    2. Select Services tab, click Hide all Microsoft services, and uncheck all the other services.
    3. Select Startup tab, uncheck all the startup items.
    4. Save the change and confirm the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:12 AM
  • The OS is Server 2008 R2 and we are running McAfee
    Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:28 PM
  • Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:52 PM
  • I have tried everything I can think of and still no luck. I did not try disabling startup apps because the is a production server and those apps are required. I will just have to hope this is one of those issue that just magically goes away. Thank you all of your help.
    • Marked as answer by Jake Redd Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:18 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Hi Jake,

I know this has been 3 years but we also have the same issue with our servers. Did you perhaps found a magical solution?

Thank you in advance

Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:00 AM