none
Project Inserts Spurious Actual Start Date RRS feed

  • Question

  • I inherited a Project 2007 schedule from someone else. He had entered future date actual starts and finishes. I removed them, and then changed some durations. Project suddenly inserted an actual start in one of the tasks. No constraints on the task, nothing special at all. The actual start Project inserted was FUTURE, as well. 

    What did I do?


    Jim

    Thursday, July 31, 2014 11:51 AM

All replies

  • Hi Jim,

    Do you have a % complete or actual work greater than 0 on this task? Having some actual work on a task will automatically populate the actual start.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

    Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:24 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you for the answer. How silly. 

    The actual work is spurious. My colleague put in future date actual starts and I removed them.

    Can I run a little program to set actual work to zero if actual start is null? (I am an experienced VBA programmer....) Or filter for actual start null and plug zero into actual work?


    Jim


    • Edited by JimS-Indy Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:05 PM
    Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:04 PM
  • You're more than welcome Jim!

    If my reply was helpful, please mark it as an answer so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

    If you do need to build a vba macro, I'd suggest you to start another thread for this. John and Rod who are vba master will surely jump in. That being said, I'd suggest to simply create a view with a filter for tasks with actual start and actual work.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

    Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:56 PM
    Moderator
  • Jim,

    I don't quite understand your second paragraph. As Guillaume pointed out, any value in the Actual Work field will automatically cause a date to appear in the Actual Start field, or a non-zero entry in the % Work Complete field will cause Project to automatically assume the task actually started on the scheduled start date. You can however enter a date in the Actual Start field and actual work and % complete may still be zero. So what is it you want to do with a macro?

    John


    Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Sorry, let me try to explain.

    This is a subcontractor's schedule. It's poorly done, not a valid CPM schedule, has 50% open ends, and had many constrain dates. I asked my colleague in the subcontractor to restructure the schedule to remove those constrain dates. His alternative was to insert future start and end dates, which he did. 

    When I discovered that, I removed all the future start dates and restructured the schedule with predecessors and deadlines. Apparently, when he put in those actual start dates, he created actual work entries, and MSP dealt with that by recording actual work. When I would change the duration of a task, a future actual start would "pop" into the task. 

    I've removed all actual work from non-started tasks now. Thanks for the help!


    Jim

    Friday, August 1, 2014 1:23 PM
  • Hi Jum,

    I must correct your statement: if you change the duration of a task, it will not populate an actual start date (present or future). The actual dates (finish and start) are only triggered by the actual work and/or % complete.

    On the other hand, entering an actual start date will NOT create any actual work either.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

    Friday, August 1, 2014 1:30 PM
    Moderator
  • I don't know what caused the problem. I did the following:

    1. Removed all resources
    2. Set all the tasks to Fixed Duration
    3. Unchecked Effort Driven (are you getting the idea I don't want this project resource loaded?)
    4. My colleague mistakenly entered many actual starts and actual finishes
    5. I removed them and linked the task sequences so they followed one another
    6. I changed the duration on the first task in a sequence and MSP populated the Actual Start with a future date (probably the one my colleague had entered...)
    7. I deleted the whole sequence and recreated it...problem solved (for that sequence...)
    8. I checked and found Actual Work in many tasks, but I can't (after the fact) say it was in any specific task.
    9. I ran the suggested filter and found no matches, so I must have killed all the spurious actual work.

    I don't want this project resource dependent in any way. 


    Jim

    Friday, August 1, 2014 1:38 PM
  • In your sequence, I'd advice to also set to 0 actual work and % complete for all tasks. Then you should not have anymore actual dates.

    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

    Friday, August 1, 2014 1:41 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you.

    Jim

    Friday, August 1, 2014 1:45 PM