SCVMM 2019 - ghost VMs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When we remove the Hyper-V replication of a VM from one server to another, we also delete the replicated VM (via HyperV manager) and associated VHDX from the destination Hyper-V host.  In SCVMM, sometimes the deleted replica VM still appears as a VM for the destination Hyper-V host.  What's the best way remove these VM ghosts?

Thanks

Friday, July 31, 2020 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The best way to remove the ghost VM is by using below PowerShell cmdlet. This will remove the VM's information from SCVMM DB completely. In the next refresh, VM should not be listed.

Get-SCVirtualMachine –Name “VMNAME" | Remove-SCVirtualMachine -Force

Try this and let me know if it worked for you. Thanks.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 1, 2020 2:49 PM
  • If the VM is live on on the source HyperV, the Get-SCVirtualMachine | Remove-SCVirtualMachine will actually remove a live VM.  How do remove from SCVMM a ghost (replica) VM without removing the live source VM?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 9:17 PM
  • Hi,

If you use switch -Force it will not remove the vm itself but it will remove its information from the VMMDB. The same switch is already mentioned on my first post. Try it and let me know.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:39 PM
  • Okay, we'll try the -Force switch.

The -Force switch seems count-intuitive to how it's used in other commands, but that's what the microsoft documentation describes:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2680205/using-the-remove-scvirtualmachine-powershell-command-in-system-center

Thanks

Thursday, August 6, 2020 8:32 PM
  • Yes, it works.  But if someone forgets the -Force switch, then there'll be trouble.

Is there a method to do this by editing the SCVMM database instead?

Thanks

Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

There are couple of ways to remove VM's information using SQL query. Below are the details:

1. Use below link which helps to remove Stale/missing VM information from VMMDB. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3102955/how-to-remove-a-vm-with-the-missing-status-from-the-vmm-console

2. If you want to remove a specific VM information, you can use the query mentioned in the below link: This comes from a 3rd party, so use it on your own risk.

https://www.robvit.com/system_center/vmm/delete-vm-from-vmm-database/

Always take a fresh VMMDB backup before modifying the VMM DB. Hope this helps! Thanks.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Friday, August 7, 2020 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Did you try the scripts I posted? let me know if you have any follow up questions. Thanks.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Monday, August 10, 2020 12:36 PM
  • Is there a script to remove a specific/named VM from the VMM DB?

(sometimes the stale/ghost VMs don't display as "Missing")

Thanks

Monday, August 10, 2020 4:53 PM
  • Yes- I had provided the link on my previous reply. Here is the link again. Thanks.

https://www.robvit.com/system_center/vmm/delete-vm-from-vmm-database/

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Monday, August 10, 2020 5:39 PM