none
Error: The database function doesn't support the query option 'HierarchicalNavigation' with value 'true' RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've inherited a power query report from a departed co-worker. Recently I had to trouble-shoot the report due to an error in the SQL coding (trying to divide by a zero quantity).

I fixed the error by making a small edit. After that, all queries and excel formulas function properly for me. I'm using Excel 2016.

When other users open the file and the queries update, they receive the following error message: The database function doesn't support the query option 'HierarchicalNavigation' with value 'true'

I've never seen this before and I haven't found anything after researching it.I can't figure out why they would receive this error especially since the change I made to the SQL was so minor. They are using Excel 2010/2013 while I am using Excel 2016. Another user with 2016 also receives no error.

I tried opening the report from another computer (virtual desktop using Windows Server 2008) using Excel 2010 and it works fine.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Evan

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Looks like they're using a very old version of Power Query. Can you ask them to update?

Your newer Power Query is adding the HierarchicalNavigation option by default. In the M query you can just delete it before giving to them, it shouldn't break anything as long as you're writing your own SQL query.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Looks like they're using a very old version of Power Query. Can you ask them to update?

Your newer Power Query is adding the HierarchicalNavigation option by default. In the M query you can just delete it before giving to them, it shouldn't break anything as long as you're writing your own SQL query.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Hi,

I have almost the same situation. I receveid a report from a departed colleague and this error shows up when I try to open the queries. But I´m using Excel 2016 all updated and even so, this message is displayed and no query is opened.

What can I do?

Tks
    Ricardo 

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:45 PM