none
Can i have Multiple Domains in a Server 2012 R2

Question

• Hi,

I need to know can i have Multiple Domain Name in a Single Active Directory Server.

Or Can i create multiple Forest in a Single Domain Controller.

For Eg : Technet.com,Technet.in,Windows.com & Windows.in.

Thanks & Regards,

D.Nithyananthan.

Saturday, January 7, 2017 4:40 PM

Answers

• Dear 

You cannot create multiple domains in a single Domain controller but you can create Sub-domains in same DC 
    like Technet.com is DC and you can do social.technet.com,public.technet,.com

and also you can not create Multiple forest in a single Domain Controller because DC by self a Forest you have to separate it like Technet.com is a forest so you can just create Member server or ADC for the single Domain just 

Thanks 

Saturday, January 7, 2017 5:41 PM

All replies

• Dear 

You cannot create multiple domains in a single Domain controller but you can create Sub-domains in same DC 
    like Technet.com is DC and you can do social.technet.com,public.technet,.com

and also you can not create Multiple forest in a single Domain Controller because DC by self a Forest you have to separate it like Technet.com is a forest so you can just create Member server or ADC for the single Domain just 

Thanks 

Saturday, January 7, 2017 5:41 PM
  • Any computer can only be joined to one domain at a time. This includes servers and domain controllers. You need at least one domain controller for each domain, and preferably more for redundancy.

However you can have multiple virtual machines hosted on one physical computer.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, January 8, 2017 4:22 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2017 5:42 PM
  • Hi,
    A DC can provide domain services for only one Active Directory (AD) domain. You can configure a DC as a Global Catalog (GC) server, which means the DC would also store a read-only copy of a subset of attributes for all domains in the forest, but the DC still couldn't provide authentication services for other domains in the forest.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

Active Directory Maximum Limits - Scalability

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/active-directory-maximum-limits-scalability(v=ws.10).aspx

You can create multiple Domains in a single Active Direct forest

Dev T

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:10 AM