none
Custom Start Layout Not Adding Internet Shortcuts

Question

• Hello All,

I've been working on a custom Start menu to get rid of un-needed tiles. I've created the XML file from my test machine using the export-startlayout cmdlet and added the share path to that file in the Start Layout object in Group Policy. Everything works as expected with the exception of the Internet shortcuts I've added to the Start menu of the test machine. They just simply do not show up. Is there something that I'm missing or is it by design that those shortcuts don't carry over? Thank you in advance for the help.

EDIT: I've also noticed that the shortcut I've placed for Devices and Printers is not showing up either.

Matt Georgetti

• Edited by mgeorgetti Monday, October 31, 2016 7:25 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Matt,

How did you configure it?

Here are articles below about detailed information for customize start layout for your reference.

Customize and export Start layout

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-and-export-start-layout

Customize Windows 10 Start and taskbar with Group Policy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/customize-windows-10-start-screens-by-using-group-policy

In addition, you could run gpresult /h C:\gpreport.html to check if the policy has been applied successfully.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:59 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Thank you for the response. I will definitely check out the articles you've linked. I'm assuming your question of how I configured it refers to the shortcuts that are not showing up? For the Internet shortcuts, the only way I could figure out how to add them was to browse to the page I wanted to link in Chrome. Then I would click the menu button, hover over More Tools and Click Add To Desktop. This would not only create a desktop shortcut but would also place that shortcut under the Recently Added section of the Start menu. From there, I would just drag the shortcut over to where the rest of the tiles are. If this is the cause of my issues, I would like to know the "official" way to do this.

As for the Devices and Printers shortcut, I created it by going to Control Panel, viewing by category and clicking the Hardware and Sound link. I would then right-click Devices and Printers and click Pin to Start. Again, if there is a better way to do this, please let me know.

I ran the gpresult command and can confirm that the policy is being applied.

Matt Georgetti

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:26 PM