none
Desktop wallpaper will not load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have Steady State 2.0 loaded on a WinXP Pro laptop. I set the wallpaper for the desktop, however whenever the user logs in it does not load. I can set it by right clicking on the image to be used and using "Set as desktop background". The profile is not locked. Any ideas?

Marcus

Friday, February 1, 2008 11:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Marcus,

This issue is caused by JPG wallpaper.

Solution is using BMP image as wallpaper. You can search BMP & wallpaper within this forum, many related threads will be found.

Best Regards,

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

This issue is caused by JPG wallpaper.

Solution is using BMP image as wallpaper. You can search BMP & wallpaper within this forum, many related threads will be found.

Best Regards,

Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Shawn

Thanks for that - I was not aware that it was an issue, as I have many, many other computers that use a JPG desktop that loads with no problems.

I'll try the BMP and see what happens.

Marcus
    Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:54 PM
  • I am having a similar issue.  I have removed all restrictions on the user, and they stil cannot change wallpaper, even using BMP (Background has NO wallpaper, just color).  However, when they log off, the wallpaper shows up briefly in the log off process.  At next login, it is not there.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

What problem was encountered when trying to change wallpaper: no tab, no permission or not apply? Any error message received?

When making changes to user profile, please make sure the profile is not locked.

To troubleshoot this issue, I recommend creating a new user profile (with no restriction) to check if the issue can be reproduced. If we can change wallpaper within it, the problem can also be caused by the problematic user profile.

Regards,

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:35 AM
  • I have developed a small script that will resolve your JPG wallpaper issues.  You can find it here: http://www.mattwaddell.com/2007/06/07/using-a-jpg-with-a-roaming-profile/

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:59 AM
  • It does not apply.  The tab is there, it lets you select it, hit apply or ok, then it does not work.  When you hit desktop prefs again, it has no background selected.  I modified the user profiles to give them NO restrictions, and it still does not work.  I am trying the new profile to see if it can be reproduced.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Had to delete the profile, and create a new one.  Both profiles that had this problem were already created before I started using steadystate.  I suspect that you need to create a  new profile with steadystate to avoid probloems.
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:07 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue as charliebear. My custom desktop image does not appear on the desktop even though it shows up in all the menus to configure it. When I'm logging on or off it briefly appears, or when I'm entering my password coming out of the screensaver it shows up, yet when I'm actively using my desktop all that shows up is the default color - no image. I tried switching to several other images including a .bmp and no images show up. I've had similar problems before but no longer can I just switch the image out, hit apply and it fixes itself.

This started randomly one day when I booted up and I imagine this bug would be hard to reproduce. I recently updated my Windows XP Pro to Service Pack 3, could that have something to do with it? I really want a fix for this because my computer only has my one Administrator profile and I don't want to try to juggle all my personal files to another profile just to get my desktop images back.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 6:11 PM