Widnows 10 Clients can not update using Local WSUS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

is there any idea why windows 10 clients only are not updating using local WSUS server ? i have other windows clients like windows 8.1 ,windows 7 even servers 2008R2 and 2012R2 are updating !

server side i could not find anything wrong even on the client side only few error in event viewer stating {Event ID 31 Windows update failed to download an update} ?

WSUS is hosted on widows Server 2012 R2 wit latest updates installed

Monday, February 4, 2019 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you set the alternate download server in the GP setting? If not, try to set it as same as the above two inputs. Then check the results.

If issue persists, it would be very helpful if you could tell us which updates the clients want to download/install when this issue occurs and please upload the windowsupdate.log here or cloud drive for further troubleshooting.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Nedim Sadovic Monday, February 4, 2019 10:51 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 9:59 AM
  • Hi Ray

all three values has been set already

here is the picture of stucked windows update :

and check the following link to see windowsudpatelog on my one drive

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmPgCmguTDkYjPVqqv2Fio-Vq0Lgeg

many thanks for your cooperation

Monday, February 4, 2019 11:30 AM
  • Hello Spar982,

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, things get complicated when using WSUS server 2012 R2 to deploy Windows 10 feature updates/upgrades. I have replied a similar case earlier today. Just refer to it and hope it could help you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/b3671e72-b542-4cc4-a931-e89a1fa84c28/feature-update-windows-10-1803-failed-to-install-when-deployed-via-wsus?forum=winserverwsus#2421472a-4871-41ca-85f2-3193992bfb30

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 11:57 AM
  • Hi Ray

i came up with another idea it is a kind of bypassing the issue then starting from scratch

i will install an Hyper-V core as a virtual machine and will make it primary wsus server instead of the existing one

all i can say this behavior of windows server 2012 R2 is remind me the old linux dependency days ! you have to install  A and B package in order to run Z package :)

Many thanks for your help and contribution

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 9:44 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Would it be a 2016 core or 2012 R2 core? If it is a 2012 0 R2, the prerequisites are still as same as them on the physical Server.

Fell free to post any issues when working with WSUS.

Best Regards,

Ray

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:33 AM
  • currently trying to deploy Hyper-V server Core 2016 on a Virtual machine and give it a try

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:47 AM
  • Hello,

That should work.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi Ray,

i started from scratch on windows server 2012 R2 and installed all prerequisites then synchronized with MS ... still the same clients stuck on %0 while downloading the updates from wsus ?

Monday, February 18, 2019 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Have you done the post-installation tasks after installing KB3159706?

And have you enabled the .ese MIME type in the IIS?

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 12:12 PM