Sudden increase in traiffic in SharePoint Application RRS feed

• Question

• The SharePoint servers are using  internet bandwidth which is impairing user performance.I am able to see a large amount of traffic being generated by indexing server in the farm that is hitting the internet proxy…i.e around 70 Gb alone on Saturday. We need to know which application is generating this traffic.and how do we get the information.

Sarath Sannadi Sharepoint Dev at Saksoft
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:51 PM

Answers

• In the crawl setting, one can specify to index a site in the www wild.  So, it stands to reason that if it needs to index that site, that it would have to ping that site for info, which would require bandwidth.

I don't know this for a fact, but it should be easy enough to test.  You can create a test crawl to a site and manually run it, whilst monitoring the bandwidth.

So, it is just a guess, but my logic makes sense to me... I think.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• The indexing would be done by the Search Crawler in Central Admin.  Check the settings.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Will Indexing use Internet Bandwidth in a SharePoint farm ?
    Sarath Sannadi Sharepoint Dev at Saksoft
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:26 PM
  • In the crawl setting, one can specify to index a site in the www wild.  So, it stands to reason that if it needs to index that site, that it would have to ping that site for info, which would require bandwidth.

I don't know this for a fact, but it should be easy enough to test.  You can create a test crawl to a site and manually run it, whilst monitoring the bandwidth.

So, it is just a guess, but my logic makes sense to me... I think.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:55 PM