Windows Explorer Preview Pane RRS feed

• Question

• The Windows Explorer Preview Pane - For windows 8

How do I change or add a preview handler to the windows explorer preview pane, for MEDIA FILES. Preview handlers for pdf files can be changed by changing the default program used to open the file. Programs such as Adobe reader, Foxit reader and Nitro reader all have a preview handler, how can I use vlc media player's preview handler?

If there is no way to change the default media preview handler, I would humbly like tolike to appeal that Microsoft allow third party video players such as the largely popular gom player and vlc media player be allowed to add a preview handler for the windows explorer preview pane. Such as how third party pdf readers have, such as foxit reader of nitro reader. Or if you could please improve the preview pane Media handler, it is very slow in startup and supports a limited number of video filetypes. File preview is a very important feature when dealing with many files, it makes it easier to choose the file you would like to view before opening it. Much like Mac's Quicklook - which supports almost all file types.

I am a die-hard windows user and as such I am asking this favor as a die-hard windows user, it would be a very welcomed change for windows 8.

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Windows Explorer Preview Pane - For windows 7/8

How do I change or add a preview handler to the windows explorer preview pane, for MEDIA FILES. Preview handlers for pdf files can be changed by changing the default program used to open the file. Programs such as Adobe reader, Foxit reader and Nitro reader all have a preview handler, how can I use vlc media player's preview handler?

If there is no way to change the default media preview handler, I would humbly like tolike to appeal that Microsoft allow third party video players such as the largely popular gom player and vlc media player be allowed to add a preview handler for the windows explorer preview pane. Such as how third party pdf readers have, such as foxit reader of nitro reader. Or if you could please improve the preview pane Media handler, it is very slow in startup and supports a limited number of video filetypes. File preview is a very important feature when dealing with many files, it makes it easier to choose the file you would like to view before opening it. Much like Mac's Quicklook - which supports almost all file types.

I am a die-hard windows user and as such I am asking this favor as a die-hard windows user, it would be a very welcomed change for windows 8.

• Merged by Niki Han Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:43 AM dup
    Friday, March 30, 2012 10:10 PM
  • The Windows Explorer Preview Pane - For windows 7

• Merged by Niki Han Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:44 AM dup
    Friday, March 30, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Davjacobs,

Pls note that Microsoft already provides the framework / provision for third-party application developers to create and register their own preview generator module. It's up to them to develop the add-on.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/cc144144(v=vs.85).aspx

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience

• Proposed as answer by Niki Han Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, April 9, 2012 5:43 AM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 11:44 AM
    Answerer
  • MEDIA FILE comes with a file extension, and each file extension associates with a CLSID. You need to register a COM server for your preview handler for your media file extension with the CLSID specified.

VLC Media Player's preview handler is free and open to use. You should be able to get it by asking VLC team on SourceForge.net.

Neither Foxit nor Nitro reader, till today, supports Windows 8 as far as I know. You would probably create your MEDIA FILE preview handler or package VLC preview handler in your own application according to the ready PDF Preview handler for Windows 8.

To the best of my knowledge, only two PDF preview handlers on Windows 8, PDF Previewer for Windows 8 by Wondersoft (France company) and PDF Preview for Windows 8 by Vivid Document Technologies AG (German company).

The setup package created for the latter is much better than the former. You can study how the preview handler is set up by the installer.

PDF preview handler is used to preview PDF document, usually the cover page (though the former provides preview multiple pages of a PDF file page by page), however, your MEDIA FIlE preview handler is to preview only the first frame of your media stream. That's the difference.
    • Edited by ciel carter Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:04 AM Appendix
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:00 AM
  • I see that you marked this as the answer when it does not address the question.  I note that this is something which happens frequently in forums by you or whoever is using your account.  Please either answer the questions or stop.  Your credibility is suffering, along with that of those who moderate these forums.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:01 PM