Sequencing an application that will initiate a service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I recently sequenced an application called NetSwitcher 3.2.3 which is a network tool for administrators to set all the network related items. The application shortcut is like this NetSwII.exe -run_as_service, where the service is started by NetSwSvc.exe. During sequencing, If I do not include the parameter i.e, only I have the NetSwII.exe the application launches fine but if I use NetSwII.exe -run_as_service the application does not launch. Have anybody faced this issue? Any suggestions?? 
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

also, for that application I doubt that Sequencing would be usefull: Even if it would run, there is a good chance that Network setting changes /that often are stored in the registry) only would apply to the Virtual Registry seen by NetSwitcher. I asume the physical Network configuration would remain unchanged.

There is a chance that this chances if you install the service locally (as Znack suggested) but I think the effort is much higher then "simply" considering NetSwitcher as a core Operating System application - and to deploy it without using Application Virtualization Technologies.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, March 5, 2010 2:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Not really sure what the intention is - but services are a grey zone. Since you can't impose any system changes if you virtualize the application the need for a service is greatly reduced.

Usually I try to keep any services out of a package and deploy them natively if needed.

/Znack
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

also, for that application I doubt that Sequencing would be usefull: Even if it would run, there is a good chance that Network setting changes /that often are stored in the registry) only would apply to the Virtual Registry seen by NetSwitcher. I asume the physical Network configuration would remain unchanged.

There is a chance that this chances if you install the service locally (as Znack suggested) but I think the effort is much higher then "simply" considering NetSwitcher as a core Operating System application - and to deploy it without using Application Virtualization Technologies.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Friday, March 5, 2010 2:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:27 PM
  • thank you for the sugession, can you give me an example of how to keep the service outside the package, what should be edited in the OSD file. I edited the OSD file to call the service separately
      <SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" TIMING="PRE" PROTECT="TRUE" WAIT="TRUE">
    <SCRIPTBODY>%CSIDL_SYSTEM%\\NetSwSvc.exe</SCRIPTBODY>
    </SCRIPT>
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hello,

Maintaing the service outside of the package would mean extracting it all together and installing it pre-sequencing and pre-deployment of any virtualized application.

No OSD-editing that means...

/Znack
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:44 PM