none
Portfolio Analysis... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

A project can either have benefits or costs but not both (they are two fields in the PDP).  However I want to do my analysis selection on both.  Can someone tell me what the easiest way to do this. 

My initial thoughts were using a 3rd custom field to amalgamate them (something like cost being a negative benefit) but I can't seem to find where to put this custom field in the New Analysis page  

Many thanks 

James 

• Edited by JamesP435 Thursday, February 21, 2019 2:43 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2019 2:39 PM

All replies

• James --

You do not add the Benefits field on the New Analysis page.  Instead, after you have created your new portfolio analysis, click the Modify link in the Cost Limits section of the Metrics pane.  In the Modify Constraints dialog, add the Benefits field to the Current Constraints list and then click the OK button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, February 21, 2019 2:48 PM
  • Just to throw a different perspective here, the challenge with what's available is that it is a 'constraint' analysis i.e. you can use "cost' as a constraint to limit the projects that fit your budget. Obviously you do not want to analyze 'limiting' benefits. so, adding Benefits as a constraint field, will not actually serve the need in my opinion.

I would suggest adding Benefits as a column in the analysis grid view, use cost as a constraint, and pick a scenario where benefits total is the maximum. You can use "Compare Scenarios" to do this.

Alternatively, you can do what you were thinking, combining benefits & cost into a single field. Again, it needs to be a 'constraint', not a 'maximizer' field. One idea I can think of is reverse of ROI i.e. Cost/Benefits ratio (as opposed to benefits/cost ratio). 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, February 21, 2019 9:28 PM