solution to error startuprepairv2 external media vista 64-bit ultimate (continuous reboot) with 2x2GB RRS feed

• General discussion

• On a new computer, without an existing operating system, I am trying to instal vista 64-bit ultimate. 

After vista is loaded, the computer reboots and it "appears" to load vista (I don't see a logo, I just see microsoft with the instal bar), but just before I would expect to see my desktop or login screen, I see a "blue screen of death" - it disappears to quickly - and the computer reboots.  Even if I try to use safe mode, I see the "blue screen of death," and the computer restarts.

I tried installing vista ultimate 64-bit again, and I get the same result.

I have:

intel core 2 quad q6600
    corsair xms2 twin 2x4096-6400c5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18
    evga nforce 680i sli lga775 conroe atx motherboard
    evga e-geforce 8800gtx 575mhz 768mb
    western digital se 16 500 GB sata2 7200rpm 16mb
    samsung sh-s203B black sata dvd+rw 20x8x16 dvd-rw wrter 0em w/ vista sw

Microsoft tech told us to remove one 2 GB stick and try again.  This time it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:27 PM

All replies

• Now that vista ultimate 64 bit is up and running, and I ran windows updates and updated my drivers, the next thing I did was install a patch: the important kb929777

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

After installing this patch, I turned off my computer, disconnected the power, and inserted the second 2GB stick.  Next, I turn everything on - I got a hibernation error message, but I told it to start up anyway - it said something about losing my previous settings, but nothing bad happened, and I started up in normal mode.  Now, I see that I have 4GB recognized by Vista.

Next, I went to start > games and click on performance and refresh, and this "rated" my computer, which seems to "enable" some of the more advanced/cool features.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:07 AM
  • I've been having this exact same problem and I have eerily similar computer specs.

intel q6600
    evga 780i SLI
    evga 8800 ultra
    mushkin ddr2 2x2gb
    WD raptor

Removing one 2gb stick and only using a single 2gb stick seemed to fix the problem. Absolutely.... amazing. Installing the 2nd 2gb stick later on and I had no issue!

Hope this thread helps people.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:01 AM