Windows 7 does not recognize my laptop's dvd/cdrom drive RRS feed

• Question

• I really need help with finding the drivers for my dvd/cd burner for my laptop. Its a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N ATA Device.
    In Device Manager under cdrom drives it is there with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. In its properties it reads this "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
    Does anyone have an answer to this problem... Pc's are a bit pointless without a working cd drive.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:46 PM

Answers

• I really need help with finding the drivers for my dvd/cd burner for my laptop. Its a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T10N ATA Device.
    In Device Manager under cdrom drives it is there with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. In its properties it reads this "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".
    Does anyone have an answer to this problem... Pc's are a bit pointless without a working cd drive.
    Hi

The hardware ID you posted tells us that this is a generic OEM drive.

Your best strategy is to go to the laptop manufacturers website and check for the drivers that are available for that device. Windows 7 is prbably detecting the device as a generic drive and trying to install the generic drivers.

Some laptop manufacturers will develop custom drivers for these devices to make them compatible with the other hardware on the computer they are installed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:41 AM