none
Problem to sequence TreeSize Professionnal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I am trying to sequence the application TreeSize Professionnal V6.33. When I launch the application on the client, the CPU raise to 100% and after about 3 minutes, the program finally launch. 

I have tried many things to solve this problem : 

1. Enable PVAD control to install all in the root.
    2. Don't launch the program when i sequence. 
    3. Don't use any exclusions.

It does not work.

When i use procmon, i see that that there is about 15 millions line where the path is HKCR\CLSID and it is like the system is trying every combinaison possible as a clsid. 

I have tied to iinactivate all the COM integration in the advanced tab of the package with no luck.

We were able to sequence the version 5 of this application with no problem.

Anyone have an idea of how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:56 PM

Answers

• I have a fix for this, not sure if it may have any impact on the application integrating with any local components, but seems to work well so far...

In your sequence, set HLKM\Software\Classes\CLSID to override!

Dan Gough
    Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by timarcandre Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:00 PM

All replies

• Does this happen only for the first launch or everytime?

Try mounting the package after publishing and then launch the shortcut.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Which OS and sequencer version did you use?
    I just downloaded the trail version x64 6.3.4 and performed a quick next next finish install on Win10x64 (sequencer from ADK). After that I perfomed some cleanup in the registry (only the hives HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CodeGear and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\jam software are included).
    I published to a Win10x64 client, and did not had any issues, startup almost instant.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:59 PM
  • It happen at every launch

We always mount our package when we deploy. 

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:57 PM
  • The OS is Windows 2008R2 and the sequencer version is 5.1.85.0.

I will try it again in ahother OS just to see if i got the same error. 

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:00 PM
  • I have test it again on the windows 2008R2 server but with the trial version and it is working fine.

So i have tried with the full version 6.3.4 and i still have the same problem.

i really dont understand why!

Any idea?

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:27 PM
  • interesting... is the license part of the installation? What if you register the license afterwards, or is that a separate setup?

Roy Essers

Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:41 PM
  • When i install the full version, it is like the setup installer have two different MSI. It start, ask for the licence agrement, ask the licence key, and then it ask me the licence agrement again. 

I can't install the licence afterwards.

Thanks!

Friday, October 21, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for your help Folks but i give up!

The problem is really the way the program is build. 

I discover that the first installer is in fact the program itself (TreeSize.exe) asking for the product key and this program query the same HKCR\CLSID key. After we enter the key, this installer call a TreeSize.tmp file.

The problem is just that in App-V, those HKCR\CLSID query take a lot more time that if the program is installed locally.

I have dedided to extract all the files and registry key in a repository and i copy those files when the server boot. We don't want this program to be part of our base image.

It is working well this way.

• Marked as answer by timarcandre Friday, October 21, 2016 7:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by timarcandre Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:51 PM
    Friday, October 21, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Hi timarcandre,

AppV is a bit notorious for being slow when it comes to registry staging the CLSID.

https://theorypc.ca/2014/12/14/appv-5-measuring-registrystaging-load-times/

If this is a server where you can control when users logon you can 'pre-stage' the registry to resolve the slowness on first launch.

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Thanks Trentent for your reply!

after your reply i have made some more testing and unfortunately, this did not solve our problem. 

We are using App-V Scheduler to load our package at each boot and this software already does 'pre-stage' the registry. When i run your script, the TreeSize package 'pre-stage' in less than 2 seconds, but when i load the program, it still take a long time to open.

It is really the program that query for all the CLSID classes at each launch.

If you have another idea i am wide open!

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:09 PM
  • I have a fix for this, not sure if it may have any impact on the application integrating with any local components, but seems to work well so far...

In your sequence, set HLKM\Software\Classes\CLSID to override!

Dan Gough

• Marked as answer by timarcandre Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:00 PM
  • Thanks Dan for your solution. It work like a charm!
    Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Dan to the rescue, yet again!
    Friday, April 7, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Not wanting to sound stupid but how do you actually set HLKM\Software\Classes\CLSID to override in the sequence?
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Once you have completed sequencing, in the package editor go to virtual registries and click on the respective key and right click on it and select override.

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Hello Dan

We try to sequence TreeSize 6.3.7.1230  (64bit) with AppV Sequencer 5.1 64bit on Windows 10 and have the same Problems and Results like written here!

After sequencing and start on the Client it takes about 3 minutes to open TreeSize   :-(

I have tried your solution here and have set the override to HLKM\Software\Classes\CLSID in the Editor after seuqencing the package and bevor saving it  .

Result:
    The result after this Looks not very fine on the clientside when I start the TreeSize .
    An Error Message with the following text appears directly after start TreeSize:

Failed to create XML DOM Documates
    Class not registered, ClassID:
    {F6D90F11-9C73-11D3-B32E-00C04F990BB4}

(-> translate from German)

After this error the TreeSize does not open.

Have you got any other idea to solve this Problem?

Thank you for your help Folks.

many greetings from Switzerland
    Ben

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:35 AM
  • That looks like the kind of error I was expecting this fix to produce but was pleasantly surprised to find it still worked! Setting that key to override is hiding vital COM registrations from the native registry, in this case Msxml2.DOMDocument. No idea why it is working for some people and not others, I would have to put it down to the different client versions. You could try and copy the local keys from  HKCR\CLSID\{F6D90F11-9C73-11D3-B32E-00C04F990BB4} into your sequence but I expect it would then just fall over when trying to find another one, and there could be many many of them.

Dan Gough

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:07 PM
  • Hello Dan

Thank you for your answer !

For your Information ....
    I have ask the TreeSize Software Company Support from Jam Software about this Problem and I am a bit surprised because the answered me back, that they officialy give Support for TreeSize in AppV! I did not expect this, because my expirience in this Support Things mostly is different  :-)

How ever ...
    Jam Software Support knows about the Problems after Start TreeSize in an AppV Package.
    They have written the reason for this is a "thirt part component" in TreeSize, which checks the Serialnumber and the activation.
    Jam Software will replace this component in TreeSize Version v7.1 - and after this it will be no Problem to run TreeSize in an App-V.

We cannot wait so Long for Version 7.1, so we decided to do a FAT-Installation to the local Clients with SCCM.

many Greetings

Ben

Friday, January 19, 2018 3:49 PM