none
SCCM 2012R2 SP1 - WSUS Auto-Approval - Optional Updates. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

We are having Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 on our Environment. We are having WSUS and integrated with Configuration Manager.

As of now, We are deploying the Bullet In's released by Microsoft (Patch Tuesday)

All this Updates are getting installed without any issues. Now, We are Planning to install the certain updates (Optional Updates like language packs) from the Microsoft Windows Update (On Client Machine) with out deploying it from Configuration Manager.

As a approach:

1. All the Mandatory BulletIn's, - Deployed using Configuration Manager

2. All the Optional Updates - Approved from WSUS, Deployed via Microsoft Windows Update

I Would request to help me with steps which can be followed to achieve the 2nd Task. Also, Is this right approach - Since we are using Configuration Manager and as of now no changes have been done so far with WSUS. As of now the WSUS Automatic Approval Rule showing the Default one which created by Configuration Manager.

Please do the needful.

Veera

Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:59 AM

Answers

• You should not touch the WSUS console at all when it's integrated in ConfigMgr. You can use Automatic Deployment Rules to deploy updates automatically.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:51 AM
  •  Most of our users preferred to install certain optional updates from the Windows update

Dear Veera,

As others said, please don't use WSUS for other tasks.

I don't know for what reason, but I believe Configmgr Auto Deployment Rule can deploy those optional updates. You can separately setup a different deployment type with the other updates.

Best regards

Frank

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:55 AM

All replies

• You should not touch the WSUS console at all when it's integrated in ConfigMgr. You can use Automatic Deployment Rules to deploy updates automatically.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, November 19, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Thank you Torsten,

We are trying to use as an additional option to enhance the 2nd Method in our Environment. Most of our users preferred to install certain optional updates from the Windows update, as we are not giving it from the SCCM. So we preferred to Enable the Rule from the WSUS Console, to get it approved for the respective products & classifications.

If I Create a Rule, with Auto Approved - Does it get reflect on the Windows Update on End User Machine Pls?

Regards,

Veera

Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:10 AM
  • It's not supported to do this and you may/will run into weird one off issues. What's wrong with making the updates available in Software Center via ConfigMgr?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:27 PM
  •  Most of our users preferred to install certain optional updates from the Windows update

Dear Veera,

As others said, please don't use WSUS for other tasks.

I don't know for what reason, but I believe Configmgr Auto Deployment Rule can deploy those optional updates. You can separately setup a different deployment type with the other updates.

Best regards

Frank

Friday, November 20, 2015 4:55 AM
  • Thank you All,

For your Help...

Veera

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:31 AM