Network connection disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I saw a previous topic similar to the problem I am encountering where you asked them to post answers to the following questions.  I followed the steps in below and post the results.  My problem is that on my Dell laptop (Vista) my network connection stopped working and the error message: connection status : Unknown.   The dependency service or group failed to start-  and when I hover over the icon in the tray (which has a red cross through it).  I have tried various solutions found on the web but nothing has helped.   I am hoping that from the info below someone might be able to help me solve this problem.

1.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “nslookup www.microsoft.com” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.
    Response:  Uknown can't find ww.microsoft.com: No response from server

2.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ipconfig /all” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.
    copied below

3.   Run Command Prompt as administrator. Type “ping (the IP address of Default Gateway)” (without quotation marks). Let me know the result.
    Response:  Unable to contact IP Driver, error code 1753

Response to 2 above:

Host Name ...          Vostro - PC
    Primary Dns Suffix  ... :
    Node Type ...         Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled ...     No
    WINS Proxy Enabled ...     No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Description :             Intel (R) Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network connection
    Physical Address:          00-1C-BF-32-BC-BC
    DHCP Enabled :            Yes
    Audoconfiguration Enabled    Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address        fe80::5599:6b9a:8fd3:52a1%9(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 address:    169.254.82.161 (Preferred)
    Subnet mask            255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway
    DNS Servers            192.168.0.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip        Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connction:
    Media State            Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix    volans.router
    Description            Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller   
    Physcal Address            00-1C-23-AB-B3-A9
    DHCP Enabled            Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled    Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
    Connection-specific DNS SUffix   
    Description            isatap.volans.router
    Physical Address        00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled            No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*9
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix   
    Descrption            Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address        02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled            No

Thursday, November 25, 2010 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please perform System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

If the issue persists, please go to perform System File Checker to scan your system for missing/corrupt files.

You may also try the following steps:

WinSock and TCP/IP Refresh

--------------------------------
    Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Type netsh winsock reset  in the Command Prompt , and then press the Enter key.

3. Do the same processes for refreshing the TCP/IP just replace the typed command with.

netsh int reset   press Enter

ipconfig /flushdns    press Enter

4. Restart your Computer.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:41 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please perform System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

If the issue persists, please go to perform System File Checker to scan your system for missing/corrupt files.

You may also try the following steps:

WinSock and TCP/IP Refresh

--------------------------------
    Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Type netsh winsock reset  in the Command Prompt , and then press the Enter key.

3. Do the same processes for refreshing the TCP/IP just replace the typed command with.

netsh int reset   press Enter

ipconfig /flushdns    press Enter

4. Restart your Computer.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:41 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:06 AM
  • A Vista Business laptop was failing DNS and DHCP client functions.  Setting a fixed IP on the interface got around the DHCP problem, but DNS did not work.  NSLOOKUP would always fail with a "no response from server".  After many hours of blind alleys, found your post and now have netsh tutorial underway. 

I was ready to reinstall Vista and this saved my bacon.  Thanks.

All I needed was netsh winsock reset.

MSRP
    Friday, January 7, 2011 11:09 PM