Can't connect Win 7 ultimate to Win server 2003 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win 2003 Ent R2 server that is connected to Internet via Router. I have Win 7 ultimate also connect to internet wireless.  How can I see my Server from Win 7?   Server DNS name is "Server.bbc.local" .

I am able to remote into my laptop from my Server using RDP connection. {not from Laptop into Server}

goal is that I need to move my data from Server to laptop by connecting them. 

• Edited by CRM elite Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:30 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:28 PM

Answers

• sounds like a firewall issue disable firewall on server and workstation along with antivirus. It could also be a dns issue try remoting to the server by ip also add a port forward to the server in the router on port 3389.

usally when I have this issue it's antivirus or firewall. It could be a security policy also.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:45 PM

All replies

• What roles are installed on server? Also post unedited ipconfig /all from both.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Hi dave, thank you. But the ipconfig info contain ip address info 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Yes, I know. that's why we want it. It is nothing to worry about as it is private address space.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:02 PM
  • From the IPconfi, DHCP is enabled on both server/win7; 

on win7 - IP routing, win proxy are disabled.  DHCP is enabled on the ethernet lan adaptor and wireless Lan adapter wireless network connection. However, DHCP disabled on tunnel adaptors.  Autoconfiguration - enabled. 

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:04 PM
  • ok i will copy and post it here 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Looks like no roles installed. In other words a workgroup. It may be a firewall issue. Also might try via the wired connection to get it working.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:15 PM
  • ok. Can I be able to connect laptop with server via ethernet card?

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:16 PM
  • I'd plug them both into router and turn off wireless for now. This one may help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/join-or-create-a-workgroup?SignedIn=1

Also might ask them more here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:20 PM
  • got. thanks dave. i will try. 
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:21 PM
  • You're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Saturday, July 28, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi Dave, no luck. I connected laptop to the router wired and disconnected the wireless connection. Created a new workgroup under system - change settings. no luck. I also tried with domain but couldn't find it. I have no idea how to get it to work.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:07 AM
  • What domain are you talking about? What roles are installed?

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:08 AM
  • I mean, from the laptop while creating a workgroup, there is an option to connect to domain. that's what I meant.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Both server and workstation are in same workgroup? I'd start with trying to ping by name and or address, then connecting by name and or address. Might also ask them here about this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:18 AM
  • Hi Dave, perhaps you can help with the workgroup. I don't believe both are in the same workgroup. I am able to ping the server from laptop by address. however,if I try to ping say ping servername

not able to reach the server.  

Server is connected to router via Ethernet; laptop wirelessly to the router. 

Also IP address is not static 
    • Edited by CRM elite Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:29 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:28 AM
  • I am able to ping from server to laptop both by the Ipaddress as well as by the laptop name 

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:31 AM
  • Start|Run|sysdm.cpl|Computer Name|Change and make sure workgroup names match. I'd connect wired only until it works.

Also read on here.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/22b03200-6432-4544-8cb6-8b29b6bc6ef5

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:35 AM
  • thanks dave. one correction. I am not able to ping from laptop to server at all. However, from server to laptop - yes. I will check 
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Where would I change the workgroup. Is it at laptop or at server? or both. 
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Turn off firewalls.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Both should match.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:42 AM
  • check user profile to allow dial in connection on terminal service and make sure user is a member of remote desktop users also under my computer properties in server 2003 allow remote connections.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:24 AM
  • also check server 2003 regedit hkey\local machine\currentcontrolset\control\services\Terminal Server\winstations\RDP_Tcp   PortNumber if it's not 3389 then your need to add the server:port to your remote connection  example myserver:3390

• Edited by White Mike Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:37 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:36 AM
  • Yes. I checked the portnumber is correct on the Server. 

"check user profile to allow dial in connection on terminal service and make sure user is a member of remote desktop users also under my computer properties in server 2003 allow remote connections."

Yes. I already have the remote connection turned on the server 2003. Also added few users in it.  

but still no luck

{I am able to rdp from server to laptop. All i need is to move the data from the server to laptop so that I can install win 2008 in this machine)

• Edited by CRM elite Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:35 PM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:34 PM
  • sounds like a firewall issue disable firewall on server and workstation along with antivirus. It could also be a dns issue try remoting to the server by ip also add a port forward to the server in the router on port 3389.

usally when I have this issue it's antivirus or firewall. It could be a security policy also.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 7:45 PM