Sound Loss in windows Vista Ultimate 32bit RRS feed

• Question

•  

While I am using sound on my computer it sometimes suddenly stops and I cannot get sound from any application. I have disabled the option to let programs take exclusive right to the sound device but it still happens please help.

Board: Intel D865PERL

Name SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Manufacturer Analog Devices, Inc.
    Status OK
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_A0008086&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&FD
    Memory Address 0xFFA00400-0xFFA005FF
    Memory Address 0xFFA00800-0xFFA008FF
    IRQ Channel IRQ 17
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys (5.12.1.5240, 253.56 KB (259,648 bytes), 7/23/2007 7:05 PM)
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:16 AM

All replies

• Does it only happen after you come out of standby?

What is your PNPID after you come out of standby a couple of times?

Does it become, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_00000000 ?

Does the inbox Mcrosoft/Intel AC'97 driver work better than the Soundmax driver?

If it looses audio after coming out of Standby or Hibernate, try disabling the system from going into standby / sleep / hibernate to avoid the issue by setting the sleep buttons to do nothing and set the balanced power setting to never go into standby.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:01 AM
  •  

I do not put my computer into stand by.
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:37 AM
  • But Vista's default setting is to turn off the monitor after x minutes and put the system into standby after 30 minutes (Balanced power profile), so I'm assuming this is done automatically.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:12 PM
  •  

The computer does NOT go into standby, I told you this before. A program does not release control of the sound and I cannot figure out how to make it release controll.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Have you tried uninstalling the HDA driver from Device Manager? Windows will reinstall the necessary drivers after you restart. Hopefully it will fix your problem.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:19 AM
  •  

Yes I have tried that
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:07 AM
  • I have the same exact problem, and the same board Intel 865PERL with soundmax integrated digital audio.  If i reboot, the default sounds are fine.  However, the second I try and play an mp3 in Windows Media Player, it just sits at the very beginning with no audio and no progress being made on the track.  Once this happens, all audio for everything else goes out too, and the only way to gain back any sound is to reboot.

The only way I've been able to play an mp3 is to go to a flash-based site, play a video with audio, and at the same time start the mp3. 

These issues have nothing to do with standby, I can reproduct the problem 15 seconds into a fresh reboot. The bottom line here is the vista driver is horrid, and we need to find a better driver. The official one on intels site hasnt been updated since mid '05:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=949&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21

In the past on XP I've been able to use soundmax drivers that came from a different manufacturer (Asus, for instance), so maybe if someone else has a better vista soundmax driver, it would help.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 5:59 AM
  • Yes that is my dilemma exactly. I hope we can recieve some kind of workaround.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 12:35 AM
  •  

Still looking for a solution to the problem.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:18 AM
  • i have a similar problem in vista home. any sound or video clip that i try to play on the internet stops a fraction of the way through. if i click "skip", a new song or video will start, but never finish or even get halfway through. i thought it was a vista problem, but my brother has the same problem with xp. is it a network problem? is it due to settings or drivers? how can i fix this?
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Same problem here.

I still looking for a new driver, meanwhile i've discovered that is not necessary to reboot. You have to restart the auido service.

Open a command window (with admin rights) an write:

net stop Audiosrv
    net start Audiosrv

That will resart the service. I've made a .bat file. When and if i find drivers i'll put the link here. The strange thing is that windows reports new drivers, but there is no link...

QUICK UPDATE:

Try here:

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/06/sound-cutting-off-problem/

I'll test the drivers later.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 9:41 AM
  • if you find a driver that works with the intel D865PERL please let me know.

Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:04 AM
  • Any updates on this issue?

Saturday, August 18, 2007 4:57 AM
  • Can you use your current audio driver and Enable S1 instead of S3?

Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:07 PM
  •  

I dont see any options that says anything like S1 or S3.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:07 PM
  • The option would be in your system BIOS (if the option is available).

Saturday, August 18, 2007 8:58 PM
  •  

it is not
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:19 AM
  •  

I have the same problem... did this update work?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:16 PM
  •  

no
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Is microsoft aware of this issue? do you think just changing my sound card would fix the problem? or is the problem really the d865 PERL Intel board??
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:40 PM
  • OK FOR EVERYONE HERE WITH THE INTEL D865 PERL MOTHERBOARD WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM... LISTEN UP... I CHANGED MY SOUND CARD AND IT RESOLVED  MY ISSUE... JUST MAKE SURE THE SOUND CARD U BUY WORKS WITH VISTA.... Smile

Saturday, September 1, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I want to use my intel integrated sound not purchase another one.

Friday, September 7, 2007 2:48 AM
  • The problem is still occurring.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 1:31 AM
  •  Sanitys wrote:

I want to use my intel integrated sound not purchase another one.

So do I.

Three days,I still can not resolve it.Is there anybody can help me.

Thanks!

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:43 PM
  • ok - same exact issue w/d865 PERL motherboard w/Ultimate.  Anyway - workaround #1: goto control panel -> sound and select your audio device; select configure button (it should enable once you select the sound device); change the sound field from current to something else (i.e. mono to stereo) and you should get the message "The device is being used by another application...".  Click Yes.  This seems to unlock whatever is hanging.  Granted - This is very similar to Cornel's workaround but might be a further clue...

Monday, December 10, 2007 10:16 PM