Why is App-V 4.6 SP1 excluding my application files from the Local User Profile?? RRS feed

• Question

• This is something which is really frustrating me... I have an application which after install upon launch, it writes a bunch of files and folder to the local user profile folder. In every instance of sequencing my application, those files and folders for the newly created local user profile directory (for my application) are being ignored!! Is there any way at all I can include these as part of the virtual package?

I saw this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507622.aspx

However, it doesn't seem as easy as this and even when I'm following these instructions it's not going to plan. Is it possible to set the sequencer to simply pick up those files and folders in the local user profile, rather than me fiddling about with afterwards?

Please note I am working with App-V 4.6 SP1.

Thanks for any help.
    Dean

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:30 PM

Answers

• Create a Sequencer template and load that before sequencing.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Marked as answer by DeanJP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:17 PM

All replies

• Which folders? It's hard to make any guesses without know what the folder paths are.

See this article for a discussion on how exclusions work in App-V: http://stealthpuppy.com/just-how-do-exclusions-in-app-v-packages-work/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Apologies I was not clear enough. The App-V Sequencer is ignoring the files of my application in the following location:

1. XP/2003: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\ Program Name
    2. Win7/Vista: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Program Name

App-V actually does state that these files have been ignored, but why??? Is there any way I can pre-configure the sequencer to stop excluding stuff which is added here as part of the sequencing process?

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Local AppData is excluded by default. Remove the exclusion for Local AppData and re-sequence.

Why do you want to include that location? Typically you would exclude Local AppData as that location is for machine specific or temporary files.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Generally speaking I agree with what you're saying, but the application I'm sequencing (apologies but I can't declare it because it's internal) stores many configuration files which determine how the app is displayed, in the local app data directory. It's not a problem to exclude that location if only one sequenced instance is to be run on the client machine. However, if a developer wants to spin up an App-V client and run multiple versions (all accessing the same local app data location), then will be conflicts...

I've seen mentioned in a lot of forums to remove the exclusion, but can you only do this on the sequencer after sequencing? Or can you remove the exclusion prior to sequencing? Obviously the latter is preferred.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:00 PM
  • You need to remove the exclusion prior to sequencing. Hence the recommendation to re-sequence the package. This behavior is also outlined in the article I've linked to.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:03 PM
  • OK thanks, but I'm still having an issue in identifying the method to remove the exclusion? I can do it after sequencing an application (when editing the package further) by going to Tools > Options > Exclusion List. But how can I get to this prior to sequencing?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Create a Sequencer template and load that before sequencing.

• Marked as answer by DeanJP Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:21 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Oh I did see that bit in the article link you posted, but thought there was a more direct route. Thanks for the quick responses.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:21 PM