• Question

• Hi Guys, just finished assembling my system, configuration is as follows:

Athlon X2 4200+ 939
    939Dual-Sata2 with 2.2 Bios
    2gb Corsair Cas 2 Ram
    2 x 200gb WD Hdds in Raid 0
    1 x 400gb Seagate on 3112 Controller Card
    9600XT AGP 256mb

I get an exclamation mark in Device Manager and Code 43, this device is not using any resources because there is a problem

My Problem is i can't get the 9600 to work in Vista no matter what I Do, anybody else had any joy?

I love this board and it is flawless in XP, i bought this board cause i didn't want to upgrade my Video card, therefore i bought 939 rather then AM2.

I'm hoping somebody has got AGP and Vista working on this board cause this is the only issue I have.

Note: This is the Dual PCI-E and AGP Board, thus i think it may be to do with the ULI AGP Driver.

Thanks guys
    Monday, July 31, 2006 6:00 AM

All replies

• Dear friend:

Try to use your 2 hdd in no raid mode. Previous versions of microsoft windows got a lot of problems working in raid mode. Before I update my pc I got an ati radeon 9250 Agp 128 mb working with vista beta 1 and it works fine, no problem with graphics but in that beta I got to use xp drivers for this graphic card. Excuse my poor english cause I am from spain and do not use so much this language.

Hope this can help you.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:22 PM
  • Hi mate, thanks for the reply, the RAID array is no issue, its definately the AGP Driver, given I put a PCI-E card in last night and it worked flawlessly, so i gather that the ULI AGP Driver isn't up to scratch at this point.

I here you could use the XP Driver under Beta1, however anything after Beta 1 has not worked correctly.

I get "access is denied" when i try to update the driver and its nothing to do with Administrator privelages as I have logged on as Administrator and I have turned off UAC.

Thanks again mate, I suppose i wait for a driver at this point
    Friday, August 4, 2006 7:26 AM
  •  deadlast wrote:
    939Dual-Sata2 with 2.2 Bios
    9600XT AGP 256mb

I get an exclamation mark in Device Manager and Code 43, this device is not using any resources because there is a problem

My Problem is i can't get the 9600 to work in Vista no matter what I Do, anybody else had any joy?

I love this board and it is flawless in XP, i bought this board cause i didn't want to upgrade my Video card, therefore i bought 939 rather then AM2.

I'm hoping somebody has got AGP and Vista working on this board cause this is the only issue I have.

Note: This is the Dual PCI-E and AGP Board, thus i think it may be to do with the ULI AGP Driver.

Thanks guys

i'm havign the same problem and with the Latest Vista build i havent found an updated Uli Driver for AGP

has anyone found a way to get this to work?

Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:11 PM
  • I have exactly same board and

using AGP  (6600 GT)

and it works find whatever.

Sunday, September 3, 2006 11:26 AM
  • I have the same problem with an Ati X850Pro AGP-Card on the Asrock Dual Sata2 Mainboard.

Since i own this board i'm not able to run my Card correctly in Windows Vista. In every build it's the same mess. It seems that it's the Uli-AGP controller driver which is the same one as under Windows XP.

It helps to install the Ati-XP-drivers, at least the windows an mousecursor stopped stuttering while moving. But i still get a Hardwarerating of 1,0 because of an incompatibility.

I hope they can fix it as soon as possible. Already sent a mail to Asrock and Uli(Nvidia).^^

Monday, September 4, 2006 9:34 PM
  • Same issue here with an Ati 9800 Pro 128mb.  I've tried loading the old Uli AGP drivers off of ASRock's site, the even older ones off of Nvidia's site and nothing works.  BIG bummer, as everything has worked fine with this setup in Win x64 and XP.  The wierd thing is if you look under device manager, it shows the Uli AGP driver as version 3.0, which you would assume is newer than the one's provided by the actual manufacturer and owner.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:00 PM
  • I have an ASROCK Dual-SATA2 with a 939 64bit 3500 cpu and an ati 9800se.  It works totally fine here.  i can't get my raid working at the moment so i'm running on a crummy old 20gigger which is slow as hell, but vista is working fine as is office 2007 beta.  I'm doing a bit of my thesis using it, and have even had the voice recognition software working today but due to the nature of my work, i'm quicker typing the stranger terms on the keyboard than repeatedly telling it how to spell stuff!  But all in all, Microsoft, I'm impressed...  Will give feedback as and when I can.

Regards

Jimbo

P.S. Vista RC1 by the way...much more stable that Beta 2, but I did also have issues with a previous Asus mobo which is now collecting dust since installing the ASROCK mobo...

Sunday, September 24, 2006 12:24 AM
  • Hello there,

I just bought the new Dual VSTA motherboard and Athlon 3000+ Venice (inc. heatsink and fan) to replace a system that started to shut off repeatedly and I too found it a real pain to get my still fairly new Nividia 6800GS OC AGP card to work with the new board...it kept crashing when I tried to install the drivers for it.

I went into the bios, and changed some strange AGP option to "Enabled" - the note at the side of it said "Enable this if you have a bridge to Nvidia AGP" - Then lo and behold, it worked.

What is a bridge exactly? And as far as I know...I don't have any bridge.  I also noticed, my graphics performance isn't as good as it was in my old ASUS A7nX8-x board. Yet when I turn this AGP option off (I can find out exactly if you want to know what it is), I cannot enter windows.

Also, after having replaced the motherboard, a stronger power supply and a new CPU - my new computer shuts off just like the old one did! It happens every hour or so, just shuts off when I am in the middle of something or not....does anyone have any ideas, as it's really infuriating having spent all this money on upgrading and to have a host of problems still.

Could it be the hard drive, or ram? I'm looking at replacing the hard drive soon. What is causing these shutdowns? And why won't my AGP card work when I turn the bridge option off? Now when I play oblivion too, the motion "stutters" - it never used to be like this with my old board, it was smooth.

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Katorak
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:26 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as everybody else, have anybody tried custuom drivers from Omega, techPowerUp or anything like that?

Athlon X2 4200+ 939
    939Dual-Sata2 with 2.1 Bios 
    2gb Corair Cas 2
    9600Pro AGP 256mb

Sunday, October 1, 2006 10:32 AM
  • Yes same here, Personnaly I think its the Uli AGP driver. Tried to install all the ati drivers even the XP ones and all have the same error. I hope Asrock has an updated driver soon, everything else works!
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 2:07 PM
  • Ah, i figured what it is...

In the bios you have to make Set Fifa to Enabled to make a bridge with the pci-e...then agp should work. You also have to install the driver before the graphics card driver.

It should work then...

Best,

M
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 2:55 PM
  •  katorak wrote:
    Hello there,

I just bought the new Dual VSTA motherboard and Athlon 3000+ Venice (inc. heatsink and fan) to replace a system that started to shut off repeatedly and I too found it a real pain to get my still fairly new Nividia 6800GS OC AGP card to work with the new board...it kept crashing when I tried to install the drivers for it.

I went into the bios, and changed some strange AGP option to "Enabled" - the note at the side of it said "Enable this if you have a bridge to Nvidia AGP" - Then lo and behold, it worked.

What is a bridge exactly? And as far as I know...I don't have any bridge. I also noticed, my graphics performance isn't as good as it was in my old ASUS A7nX8-x board. Yet when I turn this AGP option off (I can find out exactly if you want to know what it is), I cannot enter windows.

Also, after having replaced the motherboard, a stronger power supply and a new CPU - my new computer shuts off just like the old one did! It happens every hour or so, just shuts off when I am in the middle of something or not....does anyone have any ideas, as it's really infuriating having spent all this money on upgrading and to have a host of problems still.

Could it be the hard drive, or ram? I'm looking at replacing the hard drive soon. What is causing these shutdowns? And why won't my AGP card work when I turn the bridge option off? Now when I play oblivion too, the motion "stutters" - it never used to be like this with my old board, it was smooth.

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Katorak

I have the same problem, It doesnot matter Vista of XP, the system restarts in games, during video editing or playing back movies. Looks like AGP problems. I have Gainward geforce 7800 GS AGP card installed on asrock dualSATA mb... Does anyone found a solution for this?
    Saturday, October 21, 2006 5:05 PM
  • some other things you guys might want to look at is this..asrock dual vsta specifically says in the manual that if you use an AGP card it cant be a 3.3V card.
    Sunday, October 22, 2006 6:48 AM
  • Have you fixed this problem?  Does Vista RTM (Release to manufacturing) work with your mother board and graphics card.

I've got the same MB and an AGP GPU, and I want to run Vista.
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 8:50 PM
  • not out of the box it doesn't
    the SATA2 still doesn't have a AGP Vista driver, but the VSTA has an updated driver i think its 2.3 i installed that and it all started to work correctly
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 9:57 PM
  • You mean you used the VSTA driver with the 939Dual-Sata2?

I have a PCI-E Nvidia 6600GT, has anyone had issues with PCI-E, sound, LAN on this board?
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:07 AM
  • The fix works!  I've got an ASRock 939 Dual SATA 2 with a Radeon x850 Pro.  I installed the patch for the 939 VSTA (ftp://download.asrock.com/drivers/ULi/AGP/ULi_AGP_Patch.zip) and everything went *swimmingly*.  Thanks to all who helped!
    Monday, February 5, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Great news! Thank you for sharing it!
    Monday, February 5, 2007 6:57 PM
  • deluge01:
    I was wondering if you could email the patch to me. I am behind a firewall (at school) that will not allow me to download from FTP.

If you can't, that's okay; but if at all possible, would you?

Thank you. a n d y p a n t s [at] g m a i l . c o m
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 6:05 PM
  • I installed Vista Home Premium Upgrade (clean install) on the Asrock Dual-Sata2 and had no issues what-so-ever.  No device issues.

Asrock Dual-Sata2
    2 Gig Geil PC3200 DDR
    Maxtor 120 Gig Sata2
    Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128 Ram PCI-E
    HP All-in-one 3210 MFC
    Linksys PCI wireless-g card

As for the Asrock, the audio, LAN, USB all work.  Sata2 works.

One issue i did see are the benchmark results for my 6600 GT.  With vista I see a 10-20% drop in performance.  I don't think the latest Nvidia drivers are up to XP-snuff yet.  I hope they update/improve them soon!  I am able to play at a decent resolution and framerate the following:

FEAR
    Guild Wars
    HL-2/Counter Strike Source
    C&C Zero Hour
    BF-2

MS Office 2003
    TurboTax 2006
    Adobe Photo Premier

Apple ipod Nano and Sandisk e250 MP2 players.  Itunes did have issues until I installed the iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0.  Now I am all set  ;-)

After 3 days with Vista, I am happy.  I am happier that I only spent $80 for Vista Home Premium!  Hopefully the Nvidia and HP drivers get fleshed out soon!

Good Luck to ALL!
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Hi i used the same motherboard and navidia 6800GT but computer hungs for a minute or so in some cases still searching WHY!!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:09 AM
  • kanastasios -what bios are u running? u need to be up to v2.30 -the guy who posted last year about "where do i have a bridge? it refers to an agp to pci-e bridge that is built into the last models of 6800 -the reason you need bios v2.30 is because it adds an option called deep fifo enabled that you need to have on for your particular card -also the guy who's pc kept shutting down, changed cpu/board and it continued to happen, well you can be 99% sure its the video card -Ive read many posts like this where they ultimately found a bad video card -especially the older 6800gts got so hot they would shut down pc

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:43 PM
  • I've got my 939Dual-SATA2 with AGP and PCIe card to work @ Vista perfectly well and very stable considering the following:

1) install ASRock "AGP patch for Vista/Vista64 RC1" from 939Dual-VSTA

2) install ASRock LAN "beta driver ver:352 for Vista32" from 939Dual-VSTA

3) install ATI drivers (for I have 2 ATI cards) for Vista

Note:

BIOS set to boot with PCIe first - with both AGP and PCIe cards present, resulted in AGP card not enabled properly during Vista startup (code 43 error). Workaround: set BIOS to boot with AGP first, then PCIe card ist recognized properly during Vista startup and all (in my case) three monitors are working well. In case you prefer to boot with PCIe first, and system shows the cored 43 error in the device manager, just disable AGP card, then enable it again and the error will be gone. Desktop can now be extended via display settings, just enable the AGP displays.

Hope this helps... Best regards.

Update: I have been messing around with my vista system lately and noticed the following:

- AMD Dual Core CPU (939 Socket) + ULi SATA/RAID Driver = causing System Freezes (Hard Locks) without any BSODs!

=> Use Standard Microsoft Vista Drivers for SATA and SATA2!!!  Do NOT use the the drivers from ASROCK website!!!

In the Vista Device Manger > Disk drivers > Policies > Enable Advanced performance for max. HDD speed!

Sunday, September 2, 2007 8:16 PM