Exchange 2010 blank installation screen RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install exchange 2010 on win server 2008 sp2 X64 I get a blank square startup screen with picture box place holders along with a blank button.  pressing the button does nothing.  what could be wrong?
    • Edited by PSS76 Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:46 PM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make a snapshot to show the user's all the privileges.

You also could change another account and windows profile and give it a shot.

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by PSS76 Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:24 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Looks like your install media is corrupted. Have you tried downloading new installation media or running this install on another machine?

Regards,

Bart Timmermans

KPN Consulting - Technical Consultant www.bart-timmermans.nl Mark as Answer, if it is answer for your Question. Vote as Helpful, if it is helpful to you.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Hi Bart, I am using a downloaded version from the microsoft site.  I tries downloading twice and I get the same result.  I attempted this on all 4 servers.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

This is very strange behaviour. Do you specific group policies deployed to your servers? Reason why I ask because I want to know what the differences are between your servers and servers I have installed before.

Regards,

Bart Timmermans

KPN Consulting - Technical Consultant www.bart-timmermans.nl Mark as Answer, if it is answer for your Question. Vote as Helpful, if it is helpful to you.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:20 PM
  • nope, no specific group policies
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:25 PM
  • is it SBS 2008 Server?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973862

Thanks Joseph Pradeep =========================================================== If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Where did you downloaded the media from:

1. Microsoft Volume Licensing
    2. Microsoft Trial software
    3. Microsoft Technet

I will try to download and simulate the problems you are having.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Windows server standard
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Microsoft Trial software thank you!!
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Your welcome. Just to be sure. Are you downloading Exchange2010-SP1-x64.exe?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:50 PM
  • that's the one. :)
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Ok good to hear. I am currently downloading the file.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Tried it on of my Windows 2008 x64 Standard servers and can start setup as it should be.

From where are you trying to run the setup? Maybe some permissions on the setup folder are causing this behaviour.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:03 PM
  • crap... I tried from the console and rdp.  the folder is directly on the C drive with full permissions.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Please make a snapshot to show the user's all the privileges.

You also could change another account and windows profile and give it a shot.

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by PSS76 Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:24 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:03 AM
  • Rowen, using a different account with domain admin rights worked!! thank you very much.  Bart, thank you for all your help, I appriciate it!!.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:25 PM