none
Don't get email on phone where I installed Authenticator App. When get two-digit code, don't have password or code to complete authentication RRS feed

• Question

• I added Authenticator App to my Android phone.  I added two-part authentication to an msn account and set that account up in Authenticator on the phone.  I was able to log into my email account from desktop, laptop, iPad without problem.  The Autenticator app on my phone asked if I wanted to approve the login, and when I clicked "approve," I was logged in on the target device.

However, that msn account on my phone would no longer update. I could not send emails from the phone.  I would get requests on my phone for password or numeric code.  I tried copying and pasting the 30-second-renewing code, but no login.  I tried the password I used before setting up two-part authentication, but no login.

I went to this forum, created a screen name, etc., so that I could ask this question, but then I received a web link to authenticate me, and when I clicked that link, I got a message that the link wasn't working.

Sometimes, when I try to log into the msn account from one of my other machines, instead of getting the "Approve/Deny" choice on my phone, I get a two-digit number to pick.  I pick the number on my phone that matches the number on the other machine, and click next.  Then I'm asked for a code or password that I do not have!  I try copying from the 30-second-renewing code, but that doesn't work.  Then the login attempt times out on my other machine, and I think some Microsoft protocol says a bad guy may be trying to get into my email account.

Finally, finding help on my Authenticator problem is EXTREMELY difficult.

I want to be able to use the msn account on my phone.  I want "simple" login through two-part authentication.  And I want help when I need it.

So my feedback is, PLEASE  HELP.

Thank you.

Sunday, May 21, 2017 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi CoyWolf1:

According to your description, please check your APP version, for now the latest version is 6.1.3.

After you have update Authenticator App to the latest version, please Turn off all existing apps in this page, then re-add this account to Authenticator app again.

By the way, if you can’t login this account, we can use another way to verify your identity, like this:

If you have any questions about Microsoft Authenticator APP, welcome to post back here.

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Jason_ye Friday, May 26, 2017 2:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jason_ye Friday, May 26, 2017 5:55 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,
    Jason Ye

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:03 AM
  • Hi CoyWolf1,

Sorry for my mistake, I misunderstand your question.

Now, I find the root cause, after you've turned on two-step verification, some apps (like the mail apps on some phones) or devices (like an Xbox 360 or Windows Phone) will show an incorrect password error because they can't prompt you to enter a security code when you try to sign in.

As a workaround, we can use App password to login your email account.

We can follow this steps:

1. Go to the Security settings page for your Microsoft Account.

2.Under App Passwords, click Create a new app password

3.Enter this app password where you would enter normal password

More information about App passwords and two-step verification, please refer to this link.

Best regards,

Jason Ye

• Proposed as answer by Jason_ye Friday, May 26, 2017 5:56 AM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 5:55 AM