none
DPM 2012 SP1, How does BMR/System State work on a server that also has SQL Databases? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question on DPM 2012, if one of my protected servers is a SQL Server.. Lets take a look at a scenario..

My protected server is a SQL Server, in this server I want to backup the BMR so that I can restore the server as a whole and also DPM gives me the option to backup the SQL Databases individually.

If I am to backup this server, choosing BMR it looks like it will already include all the SQL databases since they are on the file system. If I also chose to backup the SQL databases, will this not "bloat" the size of the backup because now it has BMR (which I think will also include the database files as they are on the disk) and also Databases separately (which interact with SQL through VSS and do all the fancy stuff such as mark the DB as being backed up, etc.).

If I do BMR only, then I don't know if the databases in the BMR are in a "consistent state" as BMR would not interact with the SQL Databases (or so I don't think).

So maybe my best option is for BMR, not to include the "SQL" databases, if this is possible??

Can we get some clarification on this? This applies also to Exchange server/databases.

Mirza Dedic

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

this is possible if the database are not contained inside the C volume.

Then you could use the /exclude option of windows server backup. You would have to modify the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources\PSDataSourceConfig.xml file.

Else if you need to restore the BMR containing database, it is strongly advised (if not necessary) to restore the database afterward. The point is to get the SQL database in its latest state. BMR shouldn't be performed on a daily basis for the majority of servers as the configuration is not changing from day to day.

Monday, February 4, 2013 4:05 PM
  • If the databaseses are on another drive than the c drive then the BMR backup will most likely not include that volume at all. You can check that by starting windows server backup on the SQL server and select BMR backup. I think this will show you what it is going to backup.

If for some reason you also have SQL binary files installed to the drive where the SQL databases are located then this drive will most likely be included into the BMR backup as well.

If the SQL data drive is included then a BMR will also include a consistent backup of the SQL databases (educated guess). You should verify this by doing a BMR backup and checking the application eventlog of the SQL server. It should say that the databaseses have been backed up.

In any case you should backup the SQL databases conventionally with DPM! I would not rely on the BMR backup for this...

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 11:03 AM