none
Error TaskCannotEditExternal (7038) - column RRS feed

• Question

• Starting this morning i have been getting the error message in the queue when people are checking in project.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this issue? and where i could start looking for the cause?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:28 PM

Answers

• i got the user to finally check in all the other projects that were not giving him errors, then check in the ones that were, and they check-ed in ok.

the users was not seeing any errors in the plan, i was not able to get him to confirm inter project links so i can see if indeed these projects were linking to a check-out project.

not sure if he made additional changes or anything before he checked in again, but this seems to have solved the issue.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Briodan,

Is this for al projects or just a specific one?  I have only seen this error before when making updates to plans using the PSI when there are external links to other tasks.  Does the project in question have such links?  Any custom code involved or just saving from Project Professional or PWA.  Is this 2007 or 2010?

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:22 PM
    Owner
  • thanks for your reply brian.

right now we're having issues with about 5 project.

Yes they all have external links to other projects, we're on 2010 and the person experiencing the issues is checking in through project pro 2010.

My thinking is that these projects have external links to a project that is currently check-ed out which is why they cannot be updated.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Is the user seeing any error within the plan Briodan?  Can you see if the the other plan is checked out?  This shouldn't block the check-in.  Do you have the full error from the ULS log?  I'm wondering if there are some conflicting updates that are trying to be applied on check-in. 

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:33 PM
    Owner
  • i got the user to finally check in all the other projects that were not giving him errors, then check in the ones that were, and they check-ed in ok.

the users was not seeing any errors in the plan, i was not able to get him to confirm inter project links so i can see if indeed these projects were linking to a check-out project.

not sure if he made additional changes or anything before he checked in again, but this seems to have solved the issue.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Thanks briodan - I've marked your response as the answer in case others see the same error - hopefully this will help them too.

Best regards,

Brian

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:16 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

I'm having issue while updating projects through PSI those have external task. You mentioned in the thread you've been through this issue, can you please provide the solution for that?

Thanks,

Kashif

Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:34 PM
  • Hi Kashif,

I don't recall exactly what the issue was or even if there was a solution - but best to check that all the affected plans are checked in.

Best regards,

Brian.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:30 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brain,

I created a routine in which I get list of all project from PSI and update a custom field all one by one. But as soon as my routine reaches a project which is having external task, it throws an exception "TaskCannotEditExternal". I tried many times and started a thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/thread/ba108784-16d7-48a6-a5be-c4079acf6195) but this issue is keep on bothering me as it is affecting 2 of my custom modules.

I checked many times, every time all the projects are checked in, gave it thought many times but couldn't reach to a solution.

I am using this code to update the project:

for (int j = 0; j < tempProjDs.ProjectCustomFields.Count; j++)
                        {                      
                            if (tempProjDs.ProjectCustomFields[j].MD_PROP_UID == new Guid("1cc0dd7f-a74b-429e-9c28-57f977c3de92"))
                            {
                                tempProjDs.ProjectCustomFields[j].NUM_VALUE= 4444;
                            }
                        }

Regards
    Adil

From Microsoft Forums
    • Edited by Adil Hussain Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:58 AM Code added
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Hi Adil,

Not sure what the issue is, but it might be worth using a technique that has been succesful with other errors where the error does not appear to directly relate to the entity being changed, and that is to copy the changes to the dataset to a new blank dataset and then just submit these changes back to the PSI. See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/project2010custprog/thread/23bc3cbb-32fa-451f-ba73-005b1cb2e787 for an example, and let me know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Brian

• Proposed as answer by Kashif Nizam Friday, December 30, 2011 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Brian,

Your solution worked! Just copied the changes to new dataset and passed to psi and it worked. The problem was with Task datatable within Project dataset, as it had external tasks, which cannot be updated through pwa or psi.

Thanks Again!

Kashif

Friday, December 30, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi Brain,

Thanks alot. It finally worked :). Looks that when we use the original data set, it tries to update the whole project including external tasks.

Regards
    Adil

From Microsoft Forums
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Hello all,

This issue occurs when we try to close a plan. Indeed, external tasks are displayed in the close "tasks to updates page". As a result, it's mandatory to uncheck these tasks before doing a project publish.

It may be fixed somewhere ?

reagrds

Arnaoud

Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:17 AM