Word 2007: margins and "page shape" are messed up in "Print Layout" view for new documents RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I'm running Word 2007 on Windows 10 64-bit.  Whenever I create a new document, it doesn't display properly in "Print Layout" view when I'm trying to view either a single page or multiple pages.  Specifically:

• the shape of the page appears more like a square instead of the usual portrait page
    • the top margin has disappeared

Here's what the first page looks like when I first create the new document containing "ABC", a page break, and then "DEF" on the second page (sorry if the image is huge!):

I change the view (in Print Layout view) to 2 or more pages, it also looks very strange (notice how the margins are messed up, especially on the first page):

I am able to get the pages to display properly if I go to "Print Preview".

I'm wondering if I may have accidentally messed upu NORMAL.DOTM, or ??

This problem has been dogging me for more than a year.  Thank you so much for any help you can provide, and have a fabulous day!

• Edited by PRB0123 Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:04 PM
    Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Double click between the ruler and the top of your page.

Elusive White Space by Suzanne Barnhill

This is a sticky setting and will apply to any document that is opened after the setting is changed. Please respond and let us know if you need more help or if this was a solution.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, July 8, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information of Charles Kenyon was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 9:30 AM
  • thank you Charles, it solved the problem!

And thanks for the link to Ms. Barnhill's article.

Have a great week!

Sincerely, PRB0123

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:06 AM
  • Yes, Emi, things seem to be working fine now.

Thanks for checking in and have a great week.

Sincerely, PRB0123

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:07 AM
  • You are welcome.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Monday, July 31, 2017 4:28 AM