locked
Windows 7- Browser ajax event scheduling doesn't work. RRS feed

  • Question

  • A website I frequent uses ajax to instruct client browsers to send and XMLHttpRequest to check for updates of new posts to the forum.  While this info is from using Firefox, I also have the same issue using IE, Opera, Chrome. Doesn't seem to matter which browser.

    I am using Firefox 3.5.7 with JAVA build 1.6.0_17-b04 and the same version of flash, etc.

    One system has Windows XP, the other is Windows 7. On the Windows 7 client I have also tried to use 64 bit browser and java but still have the same issue.

    The XP system will initiate the XMLHttpRequest every 3 seconds or so as it is supposed to, but the Windows 7 system will never initiate the request.

    I have used an HTTP sniffer to capture the request on the XP system and have also used various tools to test all of the plugins, java, ajax etc. on the Windows 7 system and against the site. All check out ok.

    SO the question is, with everything being the same version, why won't the Windows 7 system ever initiate the request as shown below?

    The site admin is at a loss as well why only Win 7 clients have this issue. I appreciate any input someone may have.  Thank You!!

    This is the request and response stream from the XP client.

    REQUEST: This happens every 3 seconds or so.

    POST /forums/ajax.php?do=shownewresponses HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.kingbubba.com
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7
    Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
    Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
    Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    Keep-Alive: 300
    Connection: keep-alive
    X-Requested-With: XMLHttpRequest
    Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded; charset=UTF-8
    Referer: http://www.kingbubba.com/forums/showthread.php?p=111988
    Content-Length: 129
    Cookie: bblastvisit=1261861860; bblastactivity=0; bbsessionhash=c8d40ad2a4183aac4ae06804cb8c6962
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache

    securitytoken=1263165064-3bf1e7c98a9f334330eefb311bd0ac3f8e968be8&threadid=1320&ajax_lastpost=1263164956&ajax_lastedit=1263139805

    RESPONSE:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:11:59 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.11
    Cache-Control: private
    Pragma: private
    X-UA-Compatible: IE=7
    Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=86
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Content-Type: text/xml; charset=windows-1252
    X-Antivirus: avast! 4
    X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:57 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Will other PCs running windows 7 encounter the issue?

    If it happens to all windows 7, it is likely the JAVA build 1.6.0_17-b04 failed to detect the correct information on system version. I suggest find the latest version of JAVA or update and install it.

    I suggest contact JAVA support for direct assistance at this point.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 15, 2010 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:17 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Will other PCs running windows 7 encounter the issue?

    If it happens to all windows 7, it is likely the JAVA build 1.6.0_17-b04 failed to detect the correct information on system version. I suggest find the latest version of JAVA or update and install it.

    I suggest contact JAVA support for direct assistance at this point.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, January 15, 2010 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:17 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. There are only a few of other users with Win 7. Only one of them says it works for him using IE. I installed the same vers of IE, java, flash, etc that he had, still does not work.

    No browsers will work. I tried IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, opera. None of them will initiate the ajax XMLHttpRequest.

    It is a new HP laptop with Win 7 pre-installed. This site has never worked. I uninstalled all of the Norton Security apps, have disabled Win FW, disabled AV, nothing seems to point to a security issue.

    I will try java support, thanks for the suggestion.

    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:39 AM