MMC can't open services.msc RRS feed

• Question

• System : Server 2012 Standerd, main system and AD.

Problem: "MMC can't open C:/Windows/System32/services.msc..."

First step:

The first error was due to a file being corrupted message. I escalated the user profile and took control of the file using admin cmd with takeown and icals, both taking full ownership and full access(what a struggle)

Second step:

When trying to launch it from the server management console it now gave me this error MMC.... you require permission from Administrator(the account I am logged in with). Launched an escalated MMC console with the same result(server management console as well) But when using the component management console it works fine. I tried replacing the file by creating a new services.msc, but is unable to save the file to the directory even after stopping all the services(you require permission from Administrator(the account I am logged in with)).

Thus the file is not corrupted any more but still can't be accessed using mmc or SMC.

Google it and forum search, with no luck.

Third and final step:

Panic like hell and open a forum chat

HELP please

PS: This all occurred after a power failure.When the machine was booted after the power failure, i received an fatal error on the raid web console about rejected cache on server starup

Sunday, November 9, 2014 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, the error is “MMC can’t open C:/Windows/System32/services.msc”, and it gives prompt about requiring permission from administrator when you use server management console.

To troubleshoot this issue, please check if the mmc.exe exists in C:\Windows\System32 folder.

If some files were corrupted, you could try to use sfc /scannow command to restore the corrupted file. Then sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

And please check if the event viewer has any related event logs.

For more details about sfc /scannow command, please refer to the following KB article,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tina

• Proposed as answer by Tina_Tan Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina_Tan Monday, November 24, 2014 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, the error is “MMC can’t open C:/Windows/System32/services.msc”, and it gives prompt about requiring permission from administrator when you use server management console.

To troubleshoot this issue, please check if the mmc.exe exists in C:\Windows\System32 folder.

If some files were corrupted, you could try to use sfc /scannow command to restore the corrupted file. Then sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

And please check if the event viewer has any related event logs.

For more details about sfc /scannow command, please refer to the following KB article,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Best Regards,

Tina

• Proposed as answer by Tina_Tan Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tina_Tan Monday, November 24, 2014 4:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:21 AM
  • Hi

Did the sfc /scannow helped ?

Regards, Philippe

Don't forget to mark as answer or vote as helpful to help identify good information. ( linkedin endorsement never hurt too :o) )

Answer an interesting question ? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:26 AM
  • I've just started to have this same problem running Windows 7 Pro. I can't open a whole heap of things in the control panel. It just makes a soft clicking noise then nothing. I've run sfc /scannow and it has found no irregularities. I can't open event viewer, windows update, firewall, system, power options, troubleshooting etc etc. I've checked system 32 and MMC.exe is present and I can run that from the system 32 folder, but if I try to run say services.msc it gives the error below. The file does exist and I am logged on as an administrator. Can you help? I've run Avast scan, Malwarebytes scan and Iobit Malware fighter without finding any baddies.

• Edited by kaygee46 Monday, May 18, 2015 2:16 PM add more detail
    Monday, May 18, 2015 2:13 PM
  • Can you check if you have the file C;\Windows\system32\Services.msc ??

Please run a Procmon while trying to open and check what is happening when it tries to access the location ??

Monday, May 18, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the file is present as I mentioned above.  ("The file does exist and I am logged on as an administrator.")  I'm not familiar with Procmon so I'll have to have look to see what it is and how to use it, then I'll come back. Thanks again.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:27 AM
  • It turns out that Windows itself was damaged and I finished up doing an "upgrade" reinstall from my original CD. I removed service pack 1 first than installed Windows as an upgrade. This way you don't have to reinstall all your programs.
    • Edited by kaygee46 Friday, May 29, 2015 9:31 AM fix word error
    Friday, May 29, 2015 9:30 AM
  • All,

I had the same issue on a Windows 2012 (non R2) server. I tried the Google search suggestions of registering the msxml files, but it didn't work. I ended up creating a new MMC console and adding the services as a snap in and it worked. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I accomplished what I needed to get done.

Ben

Monday, October 5, 2015 12:24 AM
  • I found a solution that worked for me without creating a new MMC configuration.  I went through all the sfc and dskchk options but Services.msc still would not load.  The fix for me was to open mmc.exe, go to File->Options->Disk Cleanup->Delete Files.  It loaded perfectly after that.
    • Proposed as answer by VoodooV1 Wednesday, April 3, 2019 7:08 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2018 1:35 AM
  • thank you ..this work to me
     File->Options->Disk Cleanup->Delete Files.
    Monday, January 28, 2019 2:13 AM
  • A coworker just reported the same problem to me and Deleting the files under File | Options worked for me as well.   Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 7:08 PM
  • Thanks. This just worked for me. "File->Options->Disk Cleanup->Delete Files." I think this answer must be accepted because it is a short and practical way.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 10:56 AM
  • Just signed to vote. Thank you. Excelent answer and solution. Now everything works perfect.
    Saturday, July 6, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Thank you. This really worked for me.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 1:08 PM
  • This fixed it for me!
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:32 PM
  • The disk cleanup also worked for me. Thanks.
    Monday, September 23, 2019 3:12 PM
  • "The fix for me was to open mmc.exe, go to File->Options->Disk Cleanup->Delete Files.  It loaded perfectly after that."

Beautiful solution.

Worked perfect for me on Windows Server 2012 R2

• Edited by roadparc Sunday, February 2, 2020 2:50 PM
    Sunday, February 2, 2020 2:49 PM