Availability Report for Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• From the Sharepoint 2010 MP, there are a number of subsets under Monitoring/Sharepoint 2010 Products, e.g. Administration/Farms/Servers/Web Applications, to name a few.

Many of these subsets allow an Availability Report to be run.

Not being at all familiar with SharePoint, if I was asked to provide the "Availability of SharePoint over the last 30 days", which subset should I choose to run a report from?

thx,

John Bradshaw

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:59 AM

Answers

• hey these are the steps which you need to follow,

1>     Open the SCOM console

2>     Go to reporting Tab

3>     Go to Microsoft generic report Library

4>     Click on Availability Tab and select run

5>     Select the time frame and hourly or daily base report

6>     Click on add group

7>     Search the key word “ SharePoint”

8>     Select the component which you want to see in report like central administrator site availability etc

9>     And select the condition which you want to see in report say SharePoint uptime or other option and then run the report you will see the report in report vive and that report can be downloaded in excel format or PDF format.

these are simple steps which need to perform on scom reporting server.

Please let me if this will find you as your answer.

Ganesh

• Marked as answer by bradje Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Yes it is as simple as you think only the change you need to make either adding Group add object then you are ready to go..

And if you are asking about Blog you can try blogs which are writen by

Kevin Holman

hope this will helped you..

Regards, Ganesh M <!> Microsoft MPN - Member =========================================================== Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by bradje Friday, October 14, 2011 6:36 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Go with the farm if you have farms.  Otherwise go with the individual servers if you are just using the "nearly free" version (e.g. MOSS).

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by bradje Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Can you be more specific on this, if you are asking the ShairPoint Avalablity Report with the help of SCOM Reporting it can be done with few steps..

let me know........

• Marked as answer by bradje Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:36 PM

All replies

• Go with the farm if you have farms.  Otherwise go with the individual servers if you are just using the "nearly free" version (e.g. MOSS).

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by bradje Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Can you be more specific on this, if you are asking the ShairPoint Avalablity Report with the help of SCOM Reporting it can be done with few steps..

let me know........

• Marked as answer by bradje Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Thx Dan

Cheers,

JB

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:05 PM
  • Hi Ganesh,

Yes, that is the idea...What steps would u take?

JB

• Edited by bradje Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:29 PM
  • hey these are the steps which you need to follow,

1>     Open the SCOM console

2>     Go to reporting Tab

3>     Go to Microsoft generic report Library

4>     Click on Availability Tab and select run

5>     Select the time frame and hourly or daily base report

6>     Click on add group

7>     Search the key word “ SharePoint”

8>     Select the component which you want to see in report like central administrator site availability etc

9>     And select the condition which you want to see in report say SharePoint uptime or other option and then run the report you will see the report in report vive and that report can be downloaded in excel format or PDF format.

these are simple steps which need to perform on scom reporting server.

Please let me if this will find you as your answer.

Ganesh

• Marked as answer by bradje Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Thx Ganesh.

There are sooooo many different options to chose from at Step 8. I chose the Farm Group and that seemed to return data (as suggested above by Dan). I do not understand what the rest of the available options mean.

Also, the Condition selected by Default is "Down Time - Unplanned Maintenance" which is a combination I do not understand. What should be chosen there?

Thx again,

John Bradshaw

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Yes that would be fine for reporting perceptive but if you want to get actual Availability Report for SharePoint component then it is depend on your requirement what report you want  say like,

1>     SharePoint Central Administrator Website availability.

2>     SharePoint Client Access site Availability

3>     IIS 2003 Application Pool   Availability

4>     IIS 7 Application pool Availability

5>     SQL server Database for SharePoint Availability and much more.

In this you will get detailed report about individual component as mention above …

And for your secant point condition which you need to select, following are the available condition in SCOM reporting

1>     Worming

2>     Monitoring Unavailability

3>     Planned maintenance  

4>     Unplanned maintenance  

5>     Monitor Disabled

6>     Unmonitored

So select according to your requirement I can suggest you to select all the condition which will give you clear idea about your MOSS environment Availability,

i have tested the above in my network and it is working fine for me....

Let me know about your though on this...

Regards, Ganesh M <!> Microsoft MNP - Member =========================================================== Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Thx Ganesh. That was very helpful.

I have two sets of SharePoint servers run by two completely different groups of people.

How do I set up reporting to separate out the different websites etc for the different groups? Is it just based per server?

Also, is there a blog anywhere showing how to do all this for Sharepoint that you are aware of?

Thankyou again,

John Bradshaw

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Yes it is as simple as you think only the change you need to make either adding Group add object then you are ready to go..

And if you are asking about Blog you can try blogs which are writen by

Kevin Holman

hope this will helped you..

Regards, Ganesh M <!> Microsoft MPN - Member =========================================================== Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by bradje Friday, October 14, 2011 6:36 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:22 PM