none
Confirm Subtree Deletion dialog when removing Site?

Question

• Hello,

I'm about to delete an empty Site from Active Directory Sites and Settings.

I have removed Server object of demoted Domain Controller under Servers node. Servers node is empty when viewed from MMC and Adsiedit. There's no subnets assigned to this Site.

ADSS shows that Site contains following objects:

- Servers node (empty)
    - Licensing Site Settings object
    - NTDS Site Settings object

When attempt to delete Site from ADSS following windows pops up:

Confirm Subtree Deletion. Object SITE1 contains other objects. Are you sure you want to delete object SITE1 and all of the objects
    it contains? There's also a check box "Use Delete Subtree server control.

I don't know what should I check anymore. Should I check "Use Delete Subtree server control" before hitting Yes? Is it safe
    to delete this Site? Why is that window coming?

Thank you already!
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:24 AM

Answers

• You can confirm 'yes' to that dialog prompt if you are sure as you said that the site is empty, has no other DCs and not other subnets associated with it.  My guess is it's probably a shared printer attached to the DC.  In ADU&C, click View > Advanced Features, and click on the object to verify what AD thinks is still associated to the demoted DC.  And to be extra sure, you can follow the answers in these other threads to confirm all is OK:  Confirm Subtree deletion when deleting computer accountSites & Services - Confirm Subtree Deletion?

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hello,

I have removed Server object of demoted Domain Controller under Servers node. Servers node is empty when viewed from MMC and Adsiedit. There's no subnets assigned to this Site.

I understand your concern. Basically it shows the message because there is and NTDS setting for site beside the servers. So if you have already deleted the servers and it shows empty (make sure to refresh), you can delete the NTDS setting for the site and after that you can safely remove the site. I suppose in that case there should be no confirmation.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:57 AM

All replies

• You can confirm 'yes' to that dialog prompt if you are sure as you said that the site is empty, has no other DCs and not other subnets associated with it.  My guess is it's probably a shared printer attached to the DC.  In ADU&C, click View > Advanced Features, and click on the object to verify what AD thinks is still associated to the demoted DC.  And to be extra sure, you can follow the answers in these other threads to confirm all is OK:  Confirm Subtree deletion when deleting computer accountSites & Services - Confirm Subtree Deletion?

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hello,

I understand your concern. Basically it shows the message because there is and NTDS setting for site beside the servers. So if you have already deleted the servers and it shows empty (make sure to refresh), you can delete the NTDS setting for the site and after that you can safely remove the site. I suppose in that case there should be no confirmation.

Mahdi Tehrani   |     |   www.mahditehrani.ir
    Please click on Propose As Answer or to mark this post as and helpful for other people.
    This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:57 AM